1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tanker attacks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Jun 13, 2019.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48630374

Two oil tankers are attacked in the Gulf of Oman and the US claim that Iran is responsible. But Iran went to the aid of these tankers and rescued the sailors.

Is it plausible the Iran deliberately attacked these vessels purely so they could stage a rescue and become the good guys?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When they say 'attacked' do they mean that they came into contact with a mine? or that someone deliberately targeted them with violence?

Either way this is the sort of stupid behaviour that can escalate quickly and dangerously.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Either way it will be Oman which faces the environmental consequences.

les25paul likes this.
  4. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

What's more likely?
    Iran staged the attack so it could appear the good guy?

Or someone else staged the attack to blame Iran?

Who could possibly be looking for reasons to attack Iran?

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 New commenter

And Iran as well.

towncryer and les25paul like this.
  6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Two good points about the environmental consequences, I hadn't considered that.

Which makes it even more unusual any country in the vicinity would want to stage such an "attack".

I think the "attacks" were deliberate because its unlikely two such explosions would both happen at the same time by chance.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Would Iran have attacked two tankers which have links to Japan, just as the Japanese leader arrives in Iran for the first visit for 40+ years?

red_observer and monicabilongame like this.
  8. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 New commenter

chelsea2 likes this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

And remember this follows the 4 tankers attacked last month

lexus300 likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Trouble is I don't believe a word that the White House (this White House) says...but neither would I trust Iran.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Could it be some ‘splinter group’ so not Iran per se?

Call me a conspiracy theorist but at one point I thought the flames looked a bit Photoshopped.........

12. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Trump and his warmongering cronies are desperate to start a war with Iran, so I know what I believe.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Said on the Biased Broadcasting Corporation news this morning that the US Navy had evidence proving Irans involvement.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Whatever happened, it will mean fuel prices going up, yet again!

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Levels of smug among electric vehicle owners will reach new highs!

16. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

My smugness outstripped my MPG years ago

Grandsire likes this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Until the price of electricity goes up, as well.

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yemeni Houthi rebels are well supported and trained by Iran. They are very active militarily and have claimed a large number of attacks. There has been plenty of speculation in the region (and firmly asserted by the US) that the Houthis are effectively a proxy for Iranian military action - hence regardless of who claims responsibility for the latest attacks, the US has gone straight for what it believes is the organ grinder.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye but the Yemeni coast controlled by the Houthi is on the other side of Arabia and the waterways between Yemen and the Gulf of Hormuz will be heavily patrolled.

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Yes! They have footage of Iranian military vessels "removing" mines from the tankers. Now bearing in mind Iran was instrumental in the rescue of the tankers' crew wouldn't removing mines be a reasonable part of that rescue?

Its evidence the ships were mined but not evidence of who did it.

lexus300 likes this.