1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

talking over the teacher

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Thelastchancesaloon, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I have the utmost sympathy with the (mainly NQT population) teachers who are all struggling with behaviour management on here. I am currently doing supply in the school where I'll be an NQT from Sept and have taken on a number of classes in the past 3 weeks who are running me ragged. I concede that, with so short a time before end of term, they are not interested in working anyway, nor are they interested in building any sort of relationship with a teacher they may not have next year. However, two of the classes are particularly awful in that they simply don't shut up AT ALL - there is Always someone talking over me. I stop, I tell them I won't continue while they are ill-mannered enough to talk over me. I address those who I can see clearly talking and reiterate my expectations. I get all the usual "it's not just me" excuses - and they are right - both are large classes and you can guarantee there will be 2 or 3 cohorts enjoying a chat as well as 2 or 3 with their phones out, knowing I'm busy trying to deal with the chatters. I've given them the lectures about how important the subject is (English) in getting a job and told them they have to 'take control of their learning' as they have GCSEs soon after they come back but its all in one ear and out the other - they couldn't give a stuff.

HOW do I get them to be quiet? Unfortunately I don't have either class just before lunch or break so can't hold them back - with a previous class in my PGCE I used a stopwatch and carried forward 'time-owed' to a lunchtime lesson so I could keep them back - then I would let the good kids go and the worst offenders had to stay. Whenever I say the class will be expected to come back at lunch inevitably 5 or 6 kids will claim they already have a detention (which then takes time for me to check their planners) and 2 or 3 will just mutter they're not coming - and anyway - I NEED my lunchtime to regenerate!

All my mentors reiterated the DON'T TALK OVER THEM - but I could literally spend the whole lesson waiting for quiet because when once shuts up, another starts!

Next year I will spend time being harsh and reinforcing my expectations from the get-go - even down to chasing up the constant 'no-pen' brigade. I want them to realise early on that they won't have an easy ride in my lessons - however I do find it tough dealing with large groups of disruptive pupils when it is impossible to isolate who exactly is misbehaving as it could be so many! It really is just low-level stuff but they all think it fine to argue back and claim i'm picking on them when they're not the only one..... I recognise that whole-class punishments isn't fair on the good kids, but is making an example of a few fair either?

AAARRRGGGHHH - counting the minutes till term ends!

2. Invest in one of these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167513_langId_-1_categoryId_165704