1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talking of playgrounds...dogs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hhhh, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

You are right to question this.

There was a LOT of fouling in the general area (20m). I'm not sure there could be so many foxes in the area to create such a mess. The autumn leaves disguised the stuff and there were lots of people taking dogs on walks along the path which runs next to it. Some were off lead but walking nicely next to owners who had good verbal command.

One morning I took the boys out to play in this area, and there was a man training his Alsatian puppy, he was using the adventure play area as an obstacle course for his dog. I didn't let them play there after I saw that, I could see a potential disaster unfolding.

I like dogs and have looked after a Spaniel for a couple of weeks when friends went on holiday. I picked up after and had roll of bags for the purpose. As it wasn't my dog, I always had it on a retractable lead and kept it on short lead near children or adults.

There are many careful and responsible owners- it's the others that let everyone down.

sabrinakat and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Because of where we live, there are lots of dog walkers about. The house looks on to a green and the green is adjacent to an Italian garden. People walk their dogs along the trails and by the lake.

I mind very much when, on their way to or from a walk, they allow their dogs to poo on the green or the Italian garden. It's not a public space. Whilst I can see that dogs need to run on occasion, I'm not happy when they're off the lead on footpaths, weaving in and out of people's legs.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I take my dad's dog out on the field she always finds some fox poo to roll in but actually my previous post referred to human faeces. When I was a Nursery teacher one of my children rolled in human excreta in the corner of the nursery garden - animals don't use toilet paper. What kind of vile individual chooses a nursery garden to relieve themselves?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Most of my pockets have at least one bag of 20.

slingshotsally likes this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Sorry to detract on this thread, but they were a stupid invention.

6. slingshotsally

Have also had this in the garden at the back of my flat in London. The car park adjacent to the garden was a drug user area know for shooting up. One of the many physical reactions after taking certain types of drugs is losing bowel control.

The addicts would either leave their faeces and used equipment in the car park, or hurl it over in to the garden.

IT WAS THE MOST REPULSIVE PLACE and I only stayed there for the 6 months of the tenancy.

7. slingshotsally

It's what my friends used for their dog, so I just continued.

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

For the law on this. https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview
    Basically dogs must be under control and dog excrement must be picked up.

I am very much in favour of councils policing this strongly. We have an open plan housing estate and somebody occasionally allows their dog to foul our front garden (after dark of course). Just recently I have seen several dog poo bags simply dropped in the street. The owners have presumably picked it up because they may be being watched, and then they drop it when nobody is looking. What sort of person does this?

Another thing that happened around here, was that people were taking their dogs into the children's fenced off and gated play area so they could let them off the lead and not be able to run away! I ask you!

The council tried to bring in new bylaws for dogs which were like the ones in the OP and I have not seen such an organised objecting demonstration on anything, since the 1960's. No problem building a motorway next door, but don't tell me to put a lead on my dog!

One thing that I hold against the gutter press was about 15 years or so ago that a council somewhere wanted to use CCTV to catch people allowing their dogs to foul in the street. Talk about accusations of Big Brother and miss-spent council taxes, the gutter rags went to town on it! Consequently no council dares do it now.

In the 80's we used to have two dog wardens, then this became one, and four years ago this became none.

I like dogs, having grown up with them, and feel they are very valuable to the human community. But we are now just too densely populated for them to be ignored by local authorities. I think control of the dogs owners should be rigorously enforced but in return there should be consideration and resources made available to them for such things as defecating outside their own gardens. Public dog areas and toilets if you like!

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

This does seem very common, but really stupid! Worse then just leaving it.

slingshotsally and TCSC47 like this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The problem at the bottom of all this is lack of local council spending. Sadly people will not vote for an increase in rates or taxes. But you only ever get what you pay for!

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Enforce those things then instead of inventing new rules.

bombaysapphire and wanet like this.
  12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A very common reaction to any issue. Often there is already a law that is not implimented, thus creating a new one makes no difference, but appears that something is being done.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Many years ago, I lived in Brooklyn (NYC); there was a woman who routinely let her dog foul the sidewalk (even then, there were laws against it). Myself and my downstairs neighbours (we shared a brownstone) finally found where she was living and would leave the poo in a bag with a note on her door (large enough so people could see walking by), which said:

This owner leaves dog poo on the sidewalk. We've brought it back.

14. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

He's not called Fenton is he?

InkyP likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not as good as the EE parody.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Fenton the dog! i must have seen it a hundred times and I'm still crying with laughter.
    Jesus Christ! FENTOOOOON!
    My own dog is a menace - a lurcher who thinks he has excellent recall - as in 'I know where you are and when I'm finished here I will come and find you.' He can also be a bit snappy with strangers if they try to pet him (he's a rescue with abuse in his past) He goes off lead at our local country park (but is muzzled) as it's a large area and he can avoid other dogs and people. That's all. At all other times he is muzzled on the lead. It's just not worth the risk. I would never take him into a children's playground. Why would you put your dog in that position? It's bad enough walking him when there are so many 'dog whisperers' who don't believe you when you say he doesn't like being petted.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have three rescue lurchers. We walk to the fields close to us most days. Our route involves a common cut through to the local primary school. It has started to become covered in dog poo. Some people blame me when they see me with the dogs - nope, I have bags on me and clear up after all three and I also play dodge the poo nearly every day.

We are very selective about where and when they go off lead. It would only be on fields, we would need to be a long way from roads and if we see anyone else they go back on. Littlest one has proved resistant to all our attempts at recall training so she only goes off in our garden. We have spent a lot of money replacing the grass will AstroTurf so she can play out there in all weathers.

sabrinakat and vannie like this.
  18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I agree with the original poster that things have gone too far re the treatment of dogs and dog owners. It is typical of bloody awful British management: someone on the staff is doing "something wrong" so let's b*llock the whole staff on it". So we have some dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs, don't train or look after their dogs - the answer is not to close beaches to dogs and dog owners for 6 months of the year. The answer is sort out the owners who don't comply.
    For a start why were dog licences revoked? That never made sense to me. It would work if all dogs had to be immunised, chipped, wormed and licensed at vet's for a reasonable amount - not like usual vet fees; a kind of dog MOT. The fee the vets would have to send to local authorities could finance a dog warden service.

wanet and slingshotsally like this.
  19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

At a children's playground, near my home. A range Rover pulled up. The rear passenger door opened. A large dog leaped out and ran in, onto the grass. Did it's business, back to the car, in the door, door shuts and car drives off. The owner remained the the car throughout.
    What did I do? Nothing. It happened so quickly that I didn't realise what was happening until the dog was on it's way back to the car.
    Some people are disgusting.

InkyP, wanet and slingshotsally like this.
  20. slingshotsally

Yep - repulsive.