1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talking of playgrounds...dogs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hhhh, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Saw another thread discussing playgrounds then saw this article about a council trying to ban dogs from playgrounds and make them be on leads in a public area.
    Now, I don't have a dog. I don't live in Lytham.
    But I'd consider going to protest about this because it seems so wrong to me. It could spoil a family's precious days together if one adult has to take the dog elsewhere because they can't take it out with their kids, and would be very difficult for single parents, who often like to let their dogs run. And just as with badly-behaved kids, it's only the responsible who will suffer, as the ones who don't look after their dogs in the first place will just break the new laws.

Hundreds packed Lytham Green last month to make stand against Fylde Council introducing Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO), which would require dogs to be kept on leads on all public highways and exclude them from various other locations, including children’s playgrounds. The new orders are currently the subject of a public consultation which runs until January 15 and if they come into effect, failure to comply could see rule-breakers given a £100 fixed penalty notice, which would reduce to £50 if it is paid off within seven days. Members of the Fylde Responsible Dog Owners group, who quickly attracted more than 1,000 followers to a Facebook page opposing the proposed PSPOs and were delighted with the turnout at the last protest walk, will stage the follow-up on seafront land close to Fairhaven Road car park, St Annes, on Sunday, January 8 from noon to 1pm. Group spokesman Ann DeRizzio felt the support for the last walk was a very clear statement about the strength of feeling about this matter. She said: “Nobody likes to see a dog misbehaving or an owner not picking up after it, especially responsible owners - it drives us crackers. But why punish the vast majority of good owners for the sake of a few bad ones? “Legislation to punish offenders already exists. There are fines and orders for fouling and bad behaviour but the council has not and does not enforce it. “We would support any measures that might work but these will not stop fouling by irresponsible owners. All they will do is alienate the residents.”

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Surely this is what responsible owners do anyway, isn't it?

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Sorry but I do have an issue with a dog not on a lead in public. I'm petite and if a loose dog runs up to me or my four year old son, how do I know that I won't be attacked? I'm not anti-dog (I grew up with a red settler and other dogs) but nope, my safety and that of my child are more important.

ps. 'single parents' want to let their dogs run?

4. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

How would they police the PSPO in parks? Havering Council have recently imposed them at several schools to stop parents parking outside while picking up and dropping off children. They have installed cameras to get car registrations. In parks they'd have to pay for wardens. Would they?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed.

Irresponsible owners "like to let their dogs run."

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I'm with the council. There is no reason to have a dog inside a children's playground at all. In the park itself - fine. In the playground - no.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I would like to know what the other locations the planned ban would affect. I agree that there's no need for a dog in a playground but if you have a child and a dog and would like to sit with one on a lead while the other plays under your watchful eye, I don't see why you shouldn't.

Dogs should always be under control. Most people will need a lead to ensure that. Dogs also need a chance to run and to learn recall. Hard to do if they're banned from ever being off lead in public places.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

They could take it to the Cairngorms. ;)

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

...and teach the dog to ski at the same time. :)

[​IMG]

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Interestingly a significant % of the posts on our local facebook group concern dog owners who are 'responsible' (e.g. keep their dogs on a lead in public) complaining about attacks by those who are 'irresponsible' (e.g. don't keep their dogs on leads' - usually saying " oh, but he's harmless/he's never done that before etc.).

Personally - I'd insist on muzzles in public as well as leads, except in designated places.

11. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Visions of a child sitting on the floor on a lead while a dog plays on the swings.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Most comprehensive, targeted and sensible contribution so far.

wanet likes this.
  13. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I wish the person (s) who let(s) there dog poo on Leagrave children's adventure play area could be identified and the poo collected and be forced to roll in it as punishment.

Lead or no lead, ensure your dog is safe and the poo is collected after the doing of it.

TCSC47, wanet and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

This

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I would never dream of letting Jesmond dog off the lead to run around.

For a start he could not be trusted and has no road sense. Secondly he likes chasing joggers and cyclists.

He did go to dog training classes but failed miserably as have we as his owners.

TCSC47 likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

No reason to take a dog in the playground? When I'm there with my grandchildren? They like to walk the dogs and stop off at the playground.

What's the problem? I keep them on the lead and pick up after them.

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not all dog owners do either of those things though...

TCSC47 and slingshotsally like this.
  18. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I didn't mean you personally. @grumpydogwoman

The kids were playing on the equipment. They thought it was just mud, so it was smeared over their clothes. Thankfully they were wearing gloves, so it didn't make contact with skin.

They showed me where it was- the dog had pooed on one of the logs. With all the rain, it's form had disintegrated, but not entirely washed off.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Are you sure it was a dog?

20. grumpydogwoman

Horrible people!

I'm neurotic about dog poo. Constantly telling the grandkids to watch where they're stepping! Yuk.

(Says woman with 3 dogs. But I never go out without a minimum of 10 poo bags. Even when I don't have the dogs!)