1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talking and Listening exercise...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I would like to do a talking and listening excerise with my new class on family, likes and dislikes etc during circle time. As I have a very big class it would bring up behaviour issues as I know some of the children may get bored listening to each child speak. How could I manage this and ensure each child gets to speak but in a way that is fun and engaging for all children to take part in? Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

2. I went on a PSHE course and raised this as a similar issue that I had with my class and they suggested not trying to get through the whole class in one session. Split it up into several mini circle times over the course of, say, a week. So if there are 30 children in your class you could have 6 children talking in a short ten minute session while the others listen, making it clear that they will all have a turn to speak and that when they are not speaking they should be listening properly. I also found that some children would keep talking for ages (and not all of it was relevant) so you could use an egg timer or similar and tell them that they each have one minute to share.

3. How about having an egg timer on the IWB (http://www.online-stopwatch.com/eggtimer-countdown/full-screen/) and then you could set a time limit for each child to have answered the question around the circle before the timer runs out. Might keep the children on their toes and they could try to 'beat' their score each time. The answers you got from the children would be short but everyone would get a chance to speak.

Or you could maybe do a memory game - it would really test them! Eg. Emily has 1 brother, Thomas has two sisters, I have a brother and a sister etc. A bit like the 'I went shopping game...?'
    Just an idea. Good luck.