1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talking about sick leave in an interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by confused2, Dec 3, 2015.

1. confused2

confused2 New commenter

I have been signed off with stress for the last 6 weeks because of work related stress and cannot face going back to work. One reason was for the work load, we have a new management team and Headteacher (the 3rd in 2 years and 4 months). I probably could have got by with the extra work load but the last straw was the continuous unprofessional behaviour from a member of the SLT. Thankfully, with the support of my union, the school have agreed to release me from contract, but in total I will have had 9 weeks sick leave.

For references I will have my current Headteacher and then the previous Headteacher who retired in the summer, who I got on well with.

Now I am starting to consider what I need to do in January. I am worrying once I have applied for jobs about what happens when I get an interview.

How do I approach my sickness?

I assume that the interviewers may bring up the sickness as it may be in the reference. I am worried the sickness looks like I cannot cope with pressure. Additionally, I feel I would not be able to talk about the situation fully because it would put the school in a bad light and would look unprofessional highlighting a colleague’s poor behaviour.

How do I reassure them I am a very hardworking person and generally I can deal with stressful situations when I am not being bullied? Prior to this I didn’t have any sick days.

If the interviewers do not mention my sickness, do I mention it anyway? Just in case the reference is late coming in or they find out about the sickness after giving me a job.

My union suggested that I could suggest for a temporary contract if they are worried.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time, but pleased that you have a way out now. May I suggest that you consider this: (Obviously not writing to your Head now!)

Overwhelming workload - what can you do about it?

As for the sickness, I would make it very short, only if they mention it, and of course truthful. Something along the lines of Having successfully overcome a period of ill health, I believe that I am now better able to cope with the stresses of a teacher's life because of the strategies I have developed.

Only if it's true, mind, and better have some strategies available to quote if they ask what they are!

Best wishes