1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk4Writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by martinphilpot28, Feb 1, 2019.

?

Would you teach all the different types of nouns to a Reception class?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. martinphilpot28

martinphilpot28 New commenter

Hi
    Just wondering who uses Talk4Writing in Reception and how you teach it?

From what I have read, Reception version is a more basic version than what is used in KS1 & KS2.

Thanks
    Mp.

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Well I am no expert but I would have thought it was too early to worry about nouns and it was more important to get them to start to use their phonic knowledge in their writing and begin to think of a capital letter to start a sentence and end with a full stop.

3. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi there,
    I use Talk4writing in year R. We learn the story with actions. We act out the story with puppets etc... Then the chn do some story based writing, might be a basic character description etc... For the innovation part we change some aspects characters etc... on the class story map. Then they do their own innovated story maps. We then link some non-fiction writing to the story subject. Hope that helps.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  4. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Lucye has hit the nail on the head. We did it pretty much the same.

Introducing the story with a hook - somebody bought their chickens in when we did Little Red Hen.

Learning the story with actions using the 'best' map. Recreating the best map. Retelling with puppets. Matching provision to the story, etc. Creating a piece of writing based on the story - retelling, descriptive, a letter, instructions, etc.

Innovating the map - changing key parts such as characters using post it's and placing these over the best map. Creating own innovated maps.

Invention - creating own stories using a range of story telling ideas.

We had also created non fiction pieces using a retelling structure too - we did bad tempered ladybird and did instructions on how to catch ladybirds.

Nouns however - nope. Learning that a noun is a person, place or thing - yes at a push. Anything thing else, nope.

Hope this helps x