1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk4Writing Myths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fluffy81212, Nov 9, 2018.

1. fluffy81212

fluffy81212 New commenter

Hello Everyone

Trainee Teacher here working together with my mentor to readjust a 4 week Myths programme (focused on Greek myths) to follow Talk4Writing principles. We are focusing on imitation for the whole of the first week just wondering if anyone had any ideas, advice or successes. Even just information and links is appreciated if you have any.

Thankyou!!

2. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Hello there,
    I'd just like to note that there are some teachers who swear by talk for writing, and then there are others who regard it as a pointless waste of time. However, wherever you are or come to be on this continuum, you have to do it, so let's see...

This link seems to have some useful ideas for the Information stage of Talk for Writing: http://talk4writing.fatcow.com/id9.html

For this, would you be preparing a demonstration text, in which the children can understand the structure of a myth?

Ideas for imitation activities might be:
    * Reading the text and analysing the features (mythological characters, description of characters, setting from the past, exciting opening, a clear plot with a problem, a quest, magical artefacts, an ending, past tense used to tell the story).
    * The children memorising all or part of the story ("all" is difficult - perhaps they could each memorise a part of it? Or perhaps you could take the story and summarise it as bullet points, and they could memorise that?)
    * The children playing games to retell the story. Going around in a circle, saying a word or a sentence each, for example.
    * Is "Imitation" the stage where the children are supposed to draw pictures underneath the words? (You might at this point get an inkling of where I stand on the "Is Talk For Writing Any Good?" debate). If they do do this, you may find it takes up quite a lot of time, and it may be best to split it up into paragraphs, so that the children can work in groups, 1 paragraph per group.

I hope it all goes well!