1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by IFF, Mar 19, 2017.

1. IFF

IFF New commenter

Hello everyone! We have just started talk for writing at our school. I have enjoyed it so far but still have so much to learn! Is it possible to use talk for writing for the topic of playscripts? Has anyone done this before? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think it could work well. Children could explore changing a scene within the play, and then discussing the impact on the rest of the play. Not knowing what age group you teach, I'll take Romeo and Juliet as an example.

1) Create a story map of the main plot events.
    2) Choose a scene to explore in greater depth: eg. Romeo and Tybalt's duel.
    3) Create an innovation where one character says something different, thus requiring the other characters to respond differently as well: eg. instead of challenging Tybalt to a fight after Mercutio's death, Romeo could continue to be a peacemaker.
    4) Look at the overall effect on the story map (no fight, no death of Tybalt, no exile for Romeo, no sleeping potion for Juliet, etc).
    5) Children create their own invention of this, or another, scene and explore its effect on the story map.

I'm not a Talk For Writing expert, and haven't used it with playscripts myself - those are just some ideas I thought of after reading your thread.

3. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thanks so much Kartoshka. I work with Year 5.

We were trying to get our heads around where we could go with it and this makes sense!

It would be interesting to find out how talk for writing is working for other people. (i"ve searched but not found an awful lot).

Thanks again! :)