1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

talk for writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss Piggywig, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Whoops sorry for the type o's it's getting late.[​IMG]

2. Never heard of the thing you mentioned. But as a way of improving story-writing have you ever used partner talk to generate ideas for shared writing?
    Following this sort of session I find more children are willing to have a go at writing their own stories.
    There is another discussion on the early years forum about ideas for improving writing in Reception. Might be worth your looking.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Msz

5. How do you get hold of the Cookbook? I've signed up to the website and can get enticing glimpses ofthe pages but can't 'big' them up or dowload it from anywhere, that I can find, on the site. Apologies if I'm just being gormless.

6. Msz

7. http://www.btplc.com/Responsiblebusiness/Supportingourcommunities/Learningandskills/Freeresources/ResourceView.aspx?id=2

I've found a link for a download, thank you Msz.
    No way I'll be printing it off for holiday reading though with all those full page photos :(

8. Miss Piggywig

Thanks SB thats a great help, It gives me a really good starting point will be using some of these plans.
    Thanks 'Oldfield Park Infants'

9. We use talk for writing in our nursery and recpetion clasess up to year 6. Its a 15-20 minute session beginning with the children learning to say a story and following a story map to help them remember it with actions added in. Then in FS we spend 2 weeks doing inovations of the story so the chidlrne know the characters and context well and then the next 2 weeks we rewrite the story in thier own words and illustrate the version so it cna be published in our class tlak for writing book. We use the pie Corrbet Key stage 1 book and do: 1 the little red hen, 2 a song or a donkey3 the gingerbread man 4 the enormous turnip 5 Peter and the wolf 6 3 billy goats gruff.
    This is 1 story per half term , in the main school the children do not do invoations but look at the beginning build up problem resolutionand ending- re writing their own story suing this format.
    Hope this helps
    Littlestones

10. Miss Piggywig

Thanks littlestones I will look again at the KS1 book, I didn't go for it as not sure how much of it would be for foundation.
    Would any one else recpommend this book for Foundation?

11. Msz

The Bumper Book of Storytelling into Writing covers reception to Y2

[​IMG]

12. I think that anything produced by or developed in conjunction with Pie Corbett is inspirational!