1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk For Writing - Magpie

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LittleMissCurious, Feb 15, 2011.

1. This initiative has, until now, passed me by! I've been looking at some of the ideas on the Strategy website, and am now trying to work out how to implement some of them in my Y3/4 group. How do others get children to be Magpies & collect good words for their writing? My children have dictionaries for spellings they need, and I did think about adding Magpie words to these lists, but that's not very special! I'm wondering if they would be better categorising them by word class (verbs, adjectives, etc)....
    Any suggestions or ideas?

2. Hi there little miss curious.
    My children love being magpies and stealing words. We generally do it through our shared and guided reading and when listening to class novels. I have categories of words on the wall (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs) and put labels with stolen words around them. We also add them onto our VCOP wall for good examples of openers, connectives and vocabulary. It works really well and the children love using them in their own writing. By collecting them through our reading it makes the words meaningful and gives them context. Hope this helps.

3. Thanks Shelly. I was really after an individual way for children to store their words though....