1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for Writing in year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milennn, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Milennn

Milennn New commenter

Has anyone got any experience of using traditional tales such as The Three Little Pigs or The Billy Goats Gruff in year 3 for Talk for Writing? I am struggling to find any ways these tales have been used beyond the foundation stage.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They do seem a little young for year 3, which could be why you can't find anything.
    I have used both with year 1 in a school with high numbers of pupils with EAL and SEN, so really can't imagine using them with year 3,

Why are you choosing these texts for year 3?

Pomz likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

As above - Our Y1s do 3 little pigs! Year 3 need far more challenging texts to fulfil curriculum requirements.

4. cranberryjuice

cranberryjuice New commenter

I did Peter and the Wolf with a 2/3 class one year. I wrote the version of the story myself.

5. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

This isn't helpful but... I completely disagree with the above.

Traditional tales are definitely NOT too young for Year 3. I've successfully used them in Year 5/6 in the past by incorporating another text into them, to make them have a section of tension in.

For Year 3, I have used the Three Little Pigs for newspaper writing (from the point of view of the wolf). I think retelling traditional tales in Year 3 is a great way of giving the children the opportunity to practise technical grammatical features using stories that they are confident with and know well, which allows them to focus on the grammar aspect and not the story content.

I strongly believe that T4W works best when you rewrite your focus text so that it matches what you need to get out of it e.g. if looking at adverbials and inverted commas, you'd rewrite the three little pigs so the text was rich in speech (correctly punctuated) and a range of adverbials.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That's exactly what I did with year 1.
    I agree, and if you use a more ambitious text, your pupils will have access to higher level language at the same time.

There is so much out there on the web for T4W, if that's your thing, and other ways of teaching English, that trying to shoehorn higher level learning into low level texts just seems a lot of work to create something less good.

Obviously what you choose depends very much on your class and school.

Pomz likes this.