1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for writing in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mcfcmufc, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I have used this method once before for The Little Red Hen. Im now trying it with Jack and the beanstalk. This has been much harder. The children have not been able to do much writing. They know the story and we have made up our own actions. Story maps have been completed but I cannot get any writing from the children this time. Is a 'storyboard' acceptable at this stage?

Thanks

2. I have used this method once before for The Little Red Hen. Im now trying it with Jack and the beanstalk. This has been much harder. The children have not been able to do much writing. They know the story and we have made up our own actions. Story maps have been completed but I cannot get any writing from the children this time. Is a 'storyboard' acceptable at this stage?

Thanks

3. Have you carried out the 2 weeks of innovations with the children as this is where we get most of our writing for talk 4 writing before rewritting the story in our own words and publishing it.

email me if you would like more info

Juliewhittemore@stonehill.herts.sch.uk

4. Thank you.
    I have emailed you.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The process has three (or four stages if you include internalising the stary)
    IMITATION – familiarisation
    Retelling a story until it can be told fluently
    Multi-sensory approach, made memorable

INNOVATION – adapting a well-known tale
    Substitution, addition, alteration, change of viewpoint and reusing the basic story pattern

INVENTION – creating your own new story
    Building up a story – drawing, drama, images, video, first-hand experience, location, quality reading, etc.