1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for writing in reception??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Princessteacher09, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I usually start in January after they have had a full term of phonics and dictation and lots of experience of being able to say a sentence before asking them to try and write one.

2. Msz

If anyone is interested in some first class training on talk for writing in the early years can I recommend contacting abcdoes.co.uk.

3. Thank you very much for all the help!

4. Msz

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it but that works for me. If I carry the writing over the children forget what they want to say ...

5. Sheperdess

Sheperdess New commenter

I have recently been on a Talk for Writing course with Pie Corbett - he was SO inspirational. I am now planning to put his ideas into practise using The Little Red Hen with my reception class - but have a question. I want to start with a big book, but choice is limited and the storybook is more involved than Pie's simple story and story map. In his book 'Talk for Writing in the Early Years' he says 'the model text in talk for writing is turned into a big book and then read with the children as the children see what the words and sentences look like when written down ...'. How do I start with a big book and then move on to making a story map when the characters are different and the story outline much simpler? I can't see how to get from the big book (with more characters and complex story) to teaching Pie's simple story with a story map. Any thoughts?

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Why do you want to start with a book, if you don't feel that will work with the Talk For Writing approach? It can be done, but it does make it more complicated. Why not just tell the story in your own words?

7. JuliaMG

JuliaMG New commenter

You are amazing Littlestones!!! Thank you