1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for writing in reception??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Princessteacher09, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    I'm moving into reception in September from year 2. I have used Pie Corbett's Talk for Writing in year 2, which has worked well, but how does it work in the foundation stage? Can anyone recommend a book that you have used that may help me??
    Thanks in advance x

2. I used the Talk for Writing approach over the course of three or four weeks during my final teaching practice in a Reception class earlier this year. I started by reading 'The Three Little Pigs'. We talked a lot about the story and did story maps so the children became very familiar with the plot and the characters. I also introduced the children to the concept of hot seating. I invited children to act as certain characters from the story and encouraged the rest of the class to think of questions for those characters. This really helped the children to get to grips with the characters' personalities and think about why they might have done the things they did in the story. Following on from our discussions, the children all chose a character and wrote one or more sentences from that character's perspective in a thought bubble.
    I then read 'The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig' by Eugene Trivizas. It showed the children that a familiar story can turn into something very different just by changing one or two aspects, such as the characters. I asked the children, in groups, to think back to 'The Three Little Pigs', choose one thing they wanted to change, discuss it as a group and briefly act out their new story. They then went on to write about these new stories, even if it was just a brief sentence or even a picture by the lower ability children to explain what they had changed.
    I've just come across this e-learning course which might be useful for you. Also, I found these videos very helpful to look at when I was planning my sessions.

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi

I have done similar activites to the previous poster. Also have a try at oral communal story telling using a story with some repetition - help the children think of some actions to accompany the words and tell the story all together - it's amazing how quickly they remember the story and for how many months after they will still be telling it, with all the actions. This is great to share with parents / rest of school as well.

4. Earlier this year I went on a non-fiction writing Pie Corbett day - fantastic. What works really well is after an 'exciting' activity/school trip we make up, as a class, an 'oral narative' with actions, about what we did, which I scribe as a mixture of simple pictures/numbers/words, eg
    One sunny morning, (action of sun)
    we carried our swimming bags to school (mime carrying a heavy bag)
    After dinner we wriggled into our swimming costumes (mime wriggling)
    and tiptoed out onto the prickly grass (whispered0 where we got
    WET, very very WET...
    We sat down with a splosh in the paddling pool,
    then we squeezed and squashed and threw the wet sponges
    next we ..........
    We are really looking forward to seeing the impact all this language work/sentence structure etc has on thier writing as they progress up through the school - my most able year R's are definately using more descriptive words and a variety of connective words in thier writing as a result.

5. Oh - I meant to add, Pie Corbett is bringing out a book about non-fiction writing - look on amazon and you can pre-order.

6. We use talk for writing across the school...I work in Year 1 but went down to Reception to do some storytelling as part of the transition process. We told The Little Red Hen and by the second time most of the children were joining in. They can all tell the story with the actions now...it's great! We have agreed actions for certain story language and then make up extras for individual stories along with the children. We have found that the children are using so much of the story language learnt during the storytelling and that their writing has really improved as a result!
    Enjoy!

7. I lead an EYU and we do t4w in reception. we use the storybook by Pie Corrbet we start with the little red hen then do a song for a donkey then the gingerbread man, 3 billy goats gruff the enourmous turnip and peter and the wolf. we wokr on a 6 week program
    1st week learn to say the story outloud.
    2nd week add actions to the story
    3rd week have a carousel of 5 activites so each group do an activity related to the story 2 with adults
    4th week have another carousel of 5 more activities for each group to do over the week
    5th week begin to re write the story in the chidlren own words i.e the little red hen became the big blue elephant
    6th week type up story and chidlren illustrate the border of the pages before publishing in a hard back t4w book for the children to see and read

Hope this helps
    littlestones

8. So do people use Pie Corbett as the basis for their language lessons? Where/how do you cover the other genres? And what sort of activities would you have for small group writing in the first week where they are learning to say the story?

Thanks for any help.

9. T4W is a whole class 20 minute daily session just before lunch in our school right from nursery up to year 6. Its a whole school structure and has paid good return with the profile scores in the Early years. It fits in well just before lunch as after lunch in the EY's we do guided reading and letters and sounds then off to just over an hour chill time before then story at the end of the day. Children genreally interact with the writing and other resources around from T4W and L&S sessions during the afternoon.

10. Thank you so much for all of your responses! It basically seems like a simplified version of what I did in year 2.
    I like the idea of having the 20 minute daily session of t4w, so it becomes like a discrete l+s session. Lots to think about!
    Thanks again x

11. Can I ask, where are you getting the actions from? Are you making them up or are they listed somewhere?
    Also, just been looking on amazon at Pie Corbett books for reception, there isn't that many. There's one called 'Storyteller', which has had a bad review. Which book would you recommend me buying?
    Thanks again x

12. I have just been looking through
    "The Bumper Book of Story Telling into Writing - KS1 (which includes reception)
    and

How to teach Story Writing at KS1. Pie Corbett. It lists some actions for time connectives for each year.

13. Thanks for that, biliboi! Are you finding the books useful for Foundation 2? (i.e, is it worth me buying them?!) x

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Just do what comes naturally. I can't see the point of a list - after all, there's hardly going to be a right and awrong action!

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Pie Corbett suggests actions but says it's better to let the children make up their own

suggested actions but as inky says it's better to think of your own

Once upon a time Open hands like a book.
    Early one morning hands to one side of head and pretend to wake up.
    Who finger circle index finger in air.
    First one finger up.
    Next 2 fingers pointed to one side.
    But fingers down.
    Because hands out open palmed.

At that moment
    Suddenly hands expressively open upwards as if in surprise.
    To his amazement
    Luckily

Unfortunately hands out and open down

After/after that roll hands over in turning gesture.

So roll hands forwards and open as if giving.

Finally Palm facing audience like a policeman stopping traffic

In the end bring hands together as if closing book.
    Happily ever after
    Eventually

16. Pie Corbett is very new to us this year. We are going to start off using the suggested actions as a guide, and hopefully will get some consistency throughout R, yr 1 and 2.

Does anyone have an example of how they plan for this through a 6 week block that they would be willing to share? e.g. week 1 - retelling, wk 2, making changes etc.

Thanks for any help.

17. Msz

I would tell the story on Monday with actions
    Tuesday get the children to help retell it
    Wednesday - act it out
    Thursday make changes - class version
    and by the end of the week expect the children to be able to create their own version

18. Thank you. After the children have created their individual versions, would you expect R children to write it? How many sessions would you spend on doing this writing (assuming you wouldn't get through all the children in one session).

Thanks Msz.

19. Msz

In the early part of the year I wouldn't expect the children to write it I would probably stop at creating a class version. I would then progress to the children writing it with support and by this term I would expect most to be able to write fairly independently.
    I would probably spend a whole day (rather than a session) supporting children in small groups with the writing but if you don't have the freedom to work that way I would suggest 2/3 sessions

20. Ohh I would never have thought of spending a whole day on writing - makes sense though!

Out of interest, at what point in the year would you expect children to write it with support? Perhaps around Xmas time?
    Thanks for your help.