1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for Writing - Explanation KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by poppymak2005, Dec 11, 2016.

1. poppymak2005

poppymak2005 New commenter

Hi

I would love your advice on how to teach explanation through TFW. In geography we have been learning about the world map etc. so I was thinking of teaching children about; explanation on how do penguins survive in antarctica. It links to a penguin story that we have been doing this term in literacy so thought it would be a good way to get children interested. Would love some ideas on how to get this going. I've looked in the TFW nonfiction book by Pie Corbett but the explanation part seems to be more suitable for ks2.

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I'd start by identifying what you want the children to be able to do in their writing. What type of vocabulary do you want them to use? What sentence structure/grammar do you want to teach them? Once I had that in my mind I would write my own text which had examples in it. Then we'd learn the text, retell it, map it etc. I'd then teach lessons on: vocab, punctuation, sentence structure etc using the text to help me. Then we'd do a different explanation together as a shared write adapting the text, then they'd write their own (hopefully using what I've taught them!). The mistake I've made in the past is trying to make sure the explanation is 100% factually accurate. If it's the writing you want them to produce they could make up an animal in Antarctica for their final piece of writing.

3. poppymak2005

poppymak2005 New commenter

Thank you for your reply.