1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk for Writing - effective?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sealed, May 28, 2011.

1. -Posted again with some formatting- : )Hello everybody, I'd like to get some opinions and ideas on 'Talk for Writing' as I am considering making attempt to launch this initiative in my school. I work in a junior school, which has 3 classes per year and steams for maths and English. The school is in a low income area and, with a lot of hard work in Year 6, only gets about 80% of pupils to Level 4 or above and about 30% to Level 5 and above by end of KS2. Can anyone tell me that 'Talk for Writing' has made a big difference in their school? I'm led to believe that it is a more comprehensive and a generally exciting way for children to learn but has it made a difference to your schools results and the children's progress? Can somebody also check that my currently basic understanding of 'Talk for Writing' is correct? For fiction and non-fiction, children spend about a week become familiar with the text. So much so that by the end of the week they can 'perform' the text by speaking the text aloud and use movement to help. Story maps and flow diagrams help with this.
    In the next week, the text is 'boxed up' and the features are displayed as a 'Writer's Toolkit'. The teacher uses shared writing to re-write the text with a slightly different context. The children also do this - staying quite close to the original text and also learning new writing skills in this week.
    In the final week, the teacher uses shared writing to move further from the original text. They continue to use the 'Writer's Toolkit' but do so with a different context for the writing. The children also write a new piece - but again with more independence and room for invention.
    Later in the term, they apply the skills they have learnt in cross-curricular contexts. If I have missed anything vital from 'Talk for Writing' or I am on the completely wrong track, then please set me straight! I hope somebody can answer my questions. Thanks,

2. Hi,
    I am Literacy Leader in my school and we introduced the Pie Corbett way of using talk for writing. Writing was a major target for my school and we really needed to raise attainment in this area. You have covered the main points of the toolkit but the children need a lot of time to discuss the texts. They can also learn a story by repeating it over and over again ( I tend to do this with actions!) They then use this to go on to create their own texts.
    This approch has made a massive difference to the attainment at my school, the Year 4 class that have had this approach for the last 2 years are the highest attaining Year 4 I have ever had with lots already on a 4C. We also use notebooks as well as best books for the children to be creative without being worried about presentation. Magpie words are also very very effective, they are words that the children steal from each other and the teacher, this has greatly improved our vocabulary.
    Hope this helps.

3. We have used lots of t f w strategies this year in our infant school and, particularly in the Magic pebble story for sats we noticed a great improvement in the whole storytelling aspect fo the children's stories - without exception the stories had a clear beginning, middle and end and incorporated great language and vocabulary we have not seen before (having done this sats task many times before!) Not sure it helped with overall results - need to put into practice more non-fiction t f w - and spelling and handwriting are just the same but i would say - go for it!

Plus - lots of fun to teach.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Amazon has the red on in stock...

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Sorry to hijack thread, but does anyone else feel tyhe systemof learning text, acting then writing is a bit repetitive. I do think it improves children's confidence in writing (so probably should just shut up!) but find it a bit boring myself. Also I find that children tend to retell stories a lot in Y1 and there is less room for innovation. Although I suppose like anything it's what you make of it.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Imitation - learning the text is only the first step (acting it out / mapping/ re writing)

Innovation - re-using a well-known text.
    • Substitution; addition; alteration; change of viewpoint; reusing the
    basic story pattern.
    • Talk and drawing before writing.
    • Spelling, sentence and paragraph work
    Independent application - Move into ‘invention’ as children build up a bank of known
    narratives.
    • For younger pupils, hold regular weekly story inventing sessions.
    These should be:
    - oral
    - guided by the teacher
    - reusing familiar characters, settings and patterns
    - reusing connectives
    - reusing sentence patterns
    - an opportunity for new ideas, drawing on a range of stories and life
    Application across the curriculum - the same principles apply when using non fiction - learn the style of writing then innovate before writing own version.

http://webfronter.com/lewisham/primarycommunity/menu2/Courses_Information_and_Resources/Pie_Corbett_Story_telling_into_Writing_220906.pdf

7. Msz

8. I thought Talk for Writing was simply about getting kids to talk about what they were going to write before they put pen to paper.

9. Msz

10. zza-zza

zza-zza New commenter