1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Talk about re-inventing the wheel!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Spanakopita, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I have just looked on here and see that lots of people seem to be suffering some confusion or apprehension about the new EYFS guidelines. Have the children suddenly changed? Have their needs and interests altered? Will child development become different over the summer holidays? Then why for goodness' sake are the guidelines forever being tinkered with?

2. What Nutella said....
    Why are people stressing....???? Its crazy. People saying they are confused and pulling their hair out. Over reaction peeps...chill...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That is not what I was saying. I can see that people might well become stressed when things keep being tinkered with.

4. But the changes are hardly big are they. If you take a step back from all the 'confusion' and look at it with a clear head, your teaching shouldn't really change much. Granted, the end of Fdtion Stage assessment does still seem to be up in the air however...

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Our teaching isn't going to be much different. There are a couple of areas of maths (eg doubling and halving) that we used to touch on before, and now need to teach more thoroughly. But there aren't many changes. The teaching isn't a problem.
    What we're tearing our hair out over is the bloody paperwork - with all the names of subjects changing, the ELGs being different etc,our old plans and assessments with references to non-existent ELGs are useless. It's taking hours and hours to redo them.

6. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

We are professionals we CAN teach, children CAN play and learn. BUT do OFSTED know what to look for????? If teachers are in a mist are OFSTED in the fog?

7. Old plans should be exactly that.....!!!! They should have no real relevance to this years cohort. Unless you just teach the same themes, interests, etc every year. In actual fact the assessment should be easier as it is meant to be an end of year summary with statistically fewer points to assess on. Assess with DM statements throughout the year.

8. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I can't imagine anyone would use old plans as is superman but they probably have some timesavers which need extensive revision, for example I have a word document with all the development matters typed and referenced so I could just copy and paste them into my planning that will now need re-doing, also people tend to use blank formats for their planning which probably have the titles of the old areas on and not only will these need to be redone but might have to change format to accommodate there being 7 instead of 6 areas. Not huge jobs on their own but a pain when put altogether!

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

That's the kind of thing I meant. We had a blank short term plan with all the Early Learning Goals and Look, LIsten and Note statements on, that we could copy and paste.
    Plus, even if you plan from children's interests, there are some things (eg phonic knowledge and skills, aspects of maths) that just have to be taught. You might decide to use different activities or contexts, but the learning intentions and success criteria would stay the same and old plans used to make a useful starting point.

10. Still, hardly life consuming tasks are they. There are lots of documents with the DM statements on the Internet you can download for copy and pasting. If putting look, listen, note examples in planning is so time consuming, ask yourself is it worth doing? Why not have examples on your planning board for reference?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

All this talk of cutting and pasting and planning and documenting makes me feel quite ill. This unnecessary paperwork is only there to make teachers jump through hoops as if they are performing dogs. I am so glad that I no longer teach and that, when I did, I paid no attention whatever to the state of my paperwork but focused all my interest and attention on the children.

12. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

That's what it was like when I started teaching 20 years ago. I began in Year 1 and our mid-term plan (which included every subject) only needed 1 sheet of A3. We didn't have long term plans at all.
    The paperwork that is expected (and checked up on) has grown exponentially since then.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why don't teachers revolt?

14. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Because (I imagine) new teachers realise that the paperwork they need to do isn't half as bad as when they were training and they feel relieved instead of overwhelmed. That's how I felt anyway!

15. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Agreed that the way we run our classrooms will not change one bit. However, we've had to reorganise our planning and create a new way of doing assessment since we used eprofile previously. And converting nursery achievement using the "old" system onto the "new" system is quite time-consuming. A lot of this work that we are all doing invidually would not have been necessary if the DfE had got its act together.

16. Why are people stressing....???? Its crazy. People saying they are
    confused and pulling their hair out. Over reaction peeps...chill...

Because we are all scrutinised to the nth degree by SMT, Ofsted, School advisors etc... we are all paranoid about getting things wrong, being unfairly criticised and having our working life made a complete misery!

17. I'm not bothering to convert them. I'll observe for baseline as the children come into reception, taking into account the age band the nursery reckoned they were, and decide what age band I think they are, together with emerging, developing, secure. I think I'm going to use DM as a checklist for my planning, but just age bands for my assessment.

18. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

But I have my own nursery - so usually I don't need to do any obs - I just transfer the work my nursery teacher has done and focus on the "new" children.

19. Have a liitle conviction and belief in what you are doing. As SLT this is what I find soooooo frustrating - teachers that worry more about 'whether they are doing things right'.... believe in yourself, you know your children...

20. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I agree completely! No need to stress! I'm in a nursery attached to a primary school and it took me two evenings towards the end of term to alter my planning, observation, and assessment templates to reflect the changes to the EYFS. As someone else mentioned there's also loads of stuff available for free online so if it's too much of a pain to alter an exisiting template, why not just use a new one that's already been created?