1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tale telling and taking ages to settle

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sunflowerfi, Dec 6, 2015.

1. sunflowerfi

sunflowerfi New commenter

Hi there
    I am a new TA with a year two class. In the class there are a number of children with behavioural problems along with general boisterousness.
    I am looking for tips specifically getting children to settle down or transition from one thing to another-for example coming in from play time and sitting on the carpet or lining up for assembly or lining up after play time results in several of them telling tales or arguing with each other. The strategies the school seem to use are things like clapping and getting the children to clap back (they do this but carry on their discussions) putting your hand up for them to copy or chanting a lining up song -I find that the usual offenders do not pay attention.
    Has anyone got any more suggestions of how I can develop in this area of behaviour management

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When pupils are constantly bickering you tell them that you're really concerned about their problem with each other and you think it would be a good idea for them both to stay back at the next break time so that everyone can talk about the issues and find a solution. In Secondary that magically resolves the situation as they don't have a problem any more Miss!

Young children will respond to a star chart, points etc.
    Tell them at the beginning of the day (and before every break time) that when they return from the next break you want to hear about a nice thing that they did for someone else or a nice thing that they witnessed.
    It trains them to focus on good behaviour and being nice to each other. You allocate 5 minutes or so to hearing them tell you that Jamie picked someone up when they fell over, Natalie thanked Annie for helping her with her Maths, Deidre told Peter that she liked his new haircut and Harry saw Vanessa sharing her snack with Martin.
    You tell the 'good' children how wonderful they were and what a nice thing to do for someone else.
    You are focussing everyone's attention on only the good things that happen and are side-lining the bad stuff.
    It may be 5 minutes or so of lesson time several times per day but it can save far more time of disruption.
    You can finish each congratulatory session by telling them that they can also tell you later about nice things that they do or see in class.

ActionAidSchoolsTeam and Moarch like this.