1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking / Using Photo's of children in school - What is allowed?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louise88x, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Please could someone clear something up for me. I am starting my teacher training in September and need to build a portfolio of evidence. When taking photographs of students what are the rules on using these ? Only if a parent has signed saying that their child's photo can be used obviously.

BUT can I use them in my portfolio too as a normal image? Do I need to blur out faces? Can I not use them at all?

I would then use this portfolio in interviews so would be seen by a variety of people.

Any help / guidance would be appreciated!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It depends on what use parents gave permission for

3. academicallyblonde

academicallyblonde New commenter

Best to check what your placement school's policy is, I would think.

4. I agree with academically blonde, best to check exactly what permission the parents have signed for. In my experience the parents had signed to give the school permission to take / use photos of their children but that is slightly different to you using them in your own personal portfolio. I discussed this with the school and they were okay with me using photos providing I blurred / obstructed children's faces so they could not be identified.

5. decj

decj New commenter

If you are starting teacher training in September, it might be good idea to learn how to use an apostrophe correctly first.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

The photo is of the child, so the ' goes before the s and so "their child's photo " is correct.

"Photos" is plural, so "photo's" is incorrect-probably a typing mistake.

Good luck with your placement, Louise-hope it goes well.

7. Or possibly, photo's is an abbreviation of photographs so the apostrophe is used to denote a contraction. My husband and I argue about this one all the time.

BH

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This argument only holds water if the writer would write 'fridge', p'ram', 'bus, etc. [​IMG]

9. I agree - you would have to wait until you get to your school to see what the policy is...

and it's photos as far as I'm aware and I have just marked grammar papers!! ;)