1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking up a supply post in a school found by the agency.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by To-be-or-not-to-be, Jul 6, 2012.

1. What is the protocol of being offered supply work by a school when the original supply work was first found through an agency?
    The school I have been doing supply at have asked me to do some work from September onwards and have offered to pay me direct. It is more money. What is the protocol?

2. What is the protocol of being offered supply work by a school when the original supply work was first found through an agency?
    The school I have been doing supply at have asked me to do some work from September onwards and have offered to pay me direct. It is more money. What is the protocol?

3. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

If the school have asked you to go onto their books then they need to pay the agency a release fee. You will need to speak to the school about it. Don't risk not telling the agency because ultimately they are still your employers and until you secure a permanent job, you may need them. I would be weary of any school trying to dodge agency fees, agents should receive their commission as they are working people. I don't like agents but I had a similar problem, where my school offered to keep me on through another agency. I decided against it, because the agents placed me and despite my differences, they still deserved the commission. We just forced the agency to increase my daily rate and drop their commission. Just remember, you are only being taken on as supply which means you are still at the mercy of agencies- don't jepodise it for short term gains. Good luck.

4. Thanks Spiderwomen, you have confirmed what I thought. I have already emailed the agency but just thought I should also seek advice from the site. Thank you!

5. If there are 8 weeks since you last worked for the agency legally they can not claim any fee. So if you don't work for the next two weeks you are free to take up a direct appointment from September. It is polite to tell them what happened. Having just managed to break from my agency I have to say they don't all deserve their fees. I was placed for three weeks originally. I had to negotiate hours, got screwed on pay (£100 per day) and managed to batter my way out of agency control using AWR, tribunal threats and my union. However, I have worked on and off for another agency since 2009 and they have always been brillant, and we always update each other on availability for work. Such a relief to have my P45 and be on Agency pay for the end of term. Although I have had to survive on money left overs since last agency pay I am now paid over the summer. I sometimes think that as supply is so hard nowadays supply teachers get into the mindset that they are not work scale pay.. and we are!!! Was out marching year 9's around a hill yesterday tough work! I wouldn't upset the school either if you like the school and they like you it could lead to a permenant position.

6. Thanks for the reply coffeekarma99. Yes I am trying to not upset anyone. I like the sound of marching the Yr 9s around!
    Have a good end of year.