1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

taking Theo's Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ChrisTuff, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Have spent the afternoon short listing and one of the candidates had clearly studied Theo's advice. A good letter, a clear, precise executive summary. Matching this candidate to the person specification was a doddle.

I heartily recommend you read the pinned posts at the top and you should sail through the first round.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Chris is a Headteacher, for those of you who don't know her posts elsewhere on the TES.
    So here it is, straight from the horse's mouth.
    Follow my advice!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump this up as a reminder!
    Start looking at the advice in the Welcome thread . . .

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In case anyone else missed this . . .

5. missed what? :)

6. How do I get to the welcome thread from here?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Welcome =-Jjobseeking FAQs

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry pressed Post by mistake!
    Welcome-Jobseeking FAQs. Apply and get shortlisted. 2nd 'pinned' thread in the list at present.

9. I've just been reading about executive summaries on the site and was wondering whether I should include them in applications where just a personal statement is required or in a letter of application. Please could you clarify this.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.
    Do the executive summary first, it helps to clarify your thoughts. Then do your statement/letter of application.
    Send the executive summary as well to the school. It may fit into a space on the form called "Additional information" or something similar. If not, just send it as an extra.
    Good luck!

11. Thanks for this advice - would you title it 'executive summary' on the letter when you put the application together?

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you have your name at the top, like this:
    Theo Griff - Summary
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

13. Hello Theo
    I qualified in 2010 as a primary school teacher and have spent the past year and a bit gaining some experience as a supply teacher and in a nursery. I am now looking for jobs. I have read about your executive summary and im quite keen to put it as part of my app as I havent got very far with the application process and feel this will help me.
    Do you have any advice for an NQT to be able to stand out in the application process. Also would you recomoned that an NQT like myself should do an executive summary
    Thank you
    Emma