1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the register

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon2145, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I am a PGCE student just starting a second placement in a Y2 class. In my last placement the teacher (Y6) didn't call out names during the register, just ticked them all off. In this class the teacher who is also my mentor has told me that the class (which is very fidgety and not good at listening) doesn't respond to sitting still whilst the register is being called. Instead she puts a game on the IWB for them and ticks them off.
    I'm finding this approach quite hard. I'm still learning their names and would much prefer to take the register formally. Whilst they are playing the game on the IWB there is a lot of calling out, jumping up out of turn, touching the screen to go on to the next level when they aren't ready etc. I'll be looking down the register for a name whilst a child who has put their hand up to have a go is at the board struggling. The rest of the class are shouting out to help and it's all a bit chaotic.
    The teacher has said she is open to letting me try new approaches so does anyone have any good ways of taking the register that keeps the chn engaged? The other problem is that they come in at different times from 8:50 onwards and go straight to the carpet so the ones that have been there for a while do get restless. In other classes that I've seen the chn come in, sit at their desks to do spellings etc and then when all the class is there they go to the carpet to do the register, which seems to work well.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. I am a PGCE student just starting a second placement in a Y2 class. In my last placement the teacher (Y6) didn't call out names during the register, just ticked them all off. In this class the teacher who is also my mentor has told me that the class (which is very fidgety and not good at listening) doesn't respond to sitting still whilst the register is being called. Instead she puts a game on the IWB for them and ticks them off.
    I'm finding this approach quite hard. I'm still learning their names and would much prefer to take the register formally. Whilst they are playing the game on the IWB there is a lot of calling out, jumping up out of turn, touching the screen to go on to the next level when they aren't ready etc. I'll be looking down the register for a name whilst a child who has put their hand up to have a go is at the board struggling. The rest of the class are shouting out to help and it's all a bit chaotic.
    The teacher has said she is open to letting me try new approaches so does anyone have any good ways of taking the register that keeps the chn engaged? The other problem is that they come in at different times from 8:50 onwards and go straight to the carpet so the ones that have been there for a while do get restless. In other classes that I've seen the chn come in, sit at their desks to do spellings etc and then when all the class is there they go to the carpet to do the register, which seems to work well.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. Why don't you make a self registration chart where there are two sides: Absent/Present. Display clearly near where children enter the room.
    Every evening before you leave put all the children's names on the absent side ready for the next day.... you could use bluetac or velcro.
    When the children come in they simply move their name across to "Present". Then you can get on with morning activities and while theyre busy with you your TA can just tick off the present names.
    You can quickly check a child hasn't forgotten by calling out the "absent" names just before you send the register in case they're sitting down quietly unnoticed. The kids will get used to it quickly and not stressful on you.

4. Perhaps they could do as often done in Foundation - ie collect their name card as they come in and put it in a basket or stick onto a felt board (use Velcro).

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In your situation I would do the idea above to be honest. And if you make the names fairly plain, but the background link to the topic it works even better. If you have to do a dinner register then have the names in an 'absent' column and then have two more, one for school dinners and one for packed lunches. Children move their names to the one they want.

I have year 2 and they come to the carpet and do an activity from the whiteboard, but it isn't ever a game where they get up and down. Just a thinking, work or maths activity. Sometimes they have individual whiteboards and pens to use, but not always. I take the register formally once they are all settled, but if your class aren't used to it then I wouldn't start it now.

6. Sorry Sparky, our posts crossed!

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Great first post, karen
    Welcome to TES

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My year 2s come in, chat quietly and then when i'm ready I say "Right i'm taking the register now" they all go quiet and we take the register. Generally if they chatter through, i'll keep starting again until they're all quiet. lol :)

9. I think in Y1 they should be getting used to sitting still and quiet for longer periods of time and we shouldn't just say "They can't do it" and allow them to run riot (Which is what it sounds like with the IWB idea!). They CAN do it they just need to know they're expected to.
    That said it can be 'dead' time - I like it because I like getting to grips with who is there, asking how they are if they've been ill etc, and find it gives them time to settle and me time to give each child a few seconds of my time.
    Mine do handwriting practice of a "Sentence of the week" to practice whatever we did in our handwriting session - it sounds quite formal but it is calming and is a good time for them to practice handwriting during the busy week when there is precious little other time. I give stickers out to the best handwriter during that time. I find it sets the tone for the day nicely.
    In previous years I have had a 'challenge' on the board related to literacy/numeracy/topic work (Write all the number bonds to 10, finish the number patterns, use adjectives to make this sentence more interesting etc) but found after the register going over that challenge used up a lot of time, and after doing the visual timetable and the other bits and bobs of the morning routine, going straight into Literacy after meant we spent too long on the carpet.

10. Sorry I read your post as a Y1 class, not a Y2 class. My class are Y2 but I did the same thing with Y1 last year and I still feel that Y1 children should be able to sit still for long enough to do the register - and DEFINATELY expect Y2s to!
    Your placement class' Year 3 teacher is going to find them infuriating if that is what they are used to - it would drive me crazy!

11. Two things I do with my Year 1 class which are quick but get them sitting quietly are

1)they say their first name in register order, so first child says their name, next child on register says their name etc. There will often be those who forget but I just look at them (or their neighbour whispers to them) - they love it when they get through the whole list without prompting!

2) I sing their name to them (simple four syllable melody) and they sing "I am here" in return. If someone is absent they 'all' sing "they're not here". It really doesn't take long to zip through the register using either of these methods. (and is quite useful to spot who can hold a melody!)

When I had a school with a system where they wandered in I would have a whiteboard task at their desk (e.g. write a number on the board and the children write on their whiteboards ways of making that number) then when most were in gather them on the carpet so they know that the talking/collaborating bit is over and once they are on the carpet they are listening.

12. Hmm I did set this out in paragraphs, not long one jumble!

13. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Be at the front of the class ready as soon as the first student comes in. Play mental maths games when it is time to call the register stop the game and call it. Children usually find it easier to be quiet after they have been engaged in a game that you controlled. This way you are getting some extra maths practise too!

14. If you did want a self-register, there is a nice one to download for the IWB on kent ed website. If you google 'ready register' it will come up. Mine put their names onto the packup or dinner plate then do a morning challenge at their tables. Suits me, as we have to open the door early and they drift in over 10 minutes. (We do do the normal sit down register in the afternoon!)

15. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

No advice - just sympathy. I find it ridiculous that the class teacher is pandering to Year 2 children by putting a game on for them. It only takes 5 minutes to call names for a register. Even a fidgety class should be able to cope with that. I've always taken the register in the traditional, more formal way - even with Reception classes. If 4 year olds can cope with it, then 6 and 7 year olds can.
    If the class teacher has such low expectations, then it doesn't bode well for their behaviour when you have to actually teach them. Good luck!

16. I have to agree with the last poster. It is unfortunate that you are now stuck with this situation, but I cannot understand why their regular teacher has allowed them to get away with not sitting down quietly for the register. It is a skill they will need, and she is simply deferring this to their next teacher to sort out. What exactly does she mean by 'the class doesn't respond to sitting still' during the register?!
    I think practically, the self-registration many be a good idea for now.

17. I agree with the last two posters. I always insist on quiet and sitting still for the register, I need to know who is in in case we're evacuated, and this is the quickest way I will find out. I know someone who wanders around checking who is in while the children do independent activities, and she hardly ever notices if someone is absent! It's a shame that you are stuck with this. There are some really good ideas in this thread, including singing the register, calling each other and the mental maths games (especially useful if they are coming in dribs and drabs).

18. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Got to agree, I find it bizarre that Year 2 are supposedly incapable of sitting for a register! I bring my class in at 8.55 and they do handwriting practise until 9.10, this is silent and I take the register during this time. It is a nice, calm start to the day .

19. I tried taking the register the other day with all the children moving around and I just ticked them off (we were very short on time that afternoon) and it was awful!!! I couldn't see everyone, they were all talking and they were all moving chairs and tables, I got about halfway down and just gave up. The children in the top half of the register that I had managed to tick off got really confused as well when I didn't call their names out once they'd settled down. I agree with all the other posters that the register is a really good time to get them to settle down and be ready for what they're learning. I would use the physical register idea that they have to take responsibility for. Just out of curiousity if they can't sit still for the register, how on earth does your mentor actually do any whole class input?