1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the plunge but need advice on money and non-teaching partner

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jessjaw, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I am a Primary School teacher in London and am hoping to take the plunge and move abroad to work in an international school. Europe and South East Asia are my ideal destinations. It's a massive step and quite overwhelming. If anyone could help me with the following queries, I would be extremely grateful!
    • I live with my boyfriend who is not a teacher and would like him to come with me. He would like to take a TEFL course and teach English. How realistic is this?
    • What should I expect in terms of a package (accommodation/health insurance/flights etc)?
    • My boyfriend and I both have debts. Will this make getting a visa outside of Europe difficult?
    • Do I have to give reference details on my application? I haven't told my boss yet and would rather not until I have a job!
    Thank you in advance for any info you are able to give me!
    J

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

-I live with my boyfriend who is not a teacher and would like him to come with me. He would like to take a TEFL course and teach English. How realistic is this?
    It is very realistic in Asia. I can't really answer about Europe. Many people make a decent if not spectacular living teaching English in Asia with a TEFL/TESOL certificate (and sometimes not even that).
    •What should I expect in terms of a package (accommodation/health insurance/flights etc)?
    This will vary widely from area to area and school to school. Schools in Europe will offer much less in terms of benefits for the pleasure of living in Europe. Most good to decent schools in Asia will offer flights (for you), insurance and some type of housing. Salary will again vary widely. A very good package would let you live well and save around half of your salary (give or take). Others may have different thoughts or expectations. Some of this will depend on your qualifications as well.
    •My boyfriend and I both have debts. Will this make getting a visa outside of Europe difficult?
    I don't believe debts will impact your ability to get a visa. If you have debts/bills in the UK, Europe may not be a feasible financial option for you.
    •Do I have to give reference details on my application? I haven't told my boss yet and would rather not until I have a job!
    Individual schools will vary on wanting references upon application and will hopefully spell this out for candidates. On the other hand, would you really want to work for a school that would hire you without bothering to check your references?

3. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

The school that I am working at is a well known British international school in Asia and many of the staff are cohabiting. I was told at interview that it was not an issue. Non teacher partners of people I work with have found it pretty easy to pick up work. My school is great with partners and in many cases has offered employment in some capacity.

4. Not true GG. We give couples equal status................probably more difficult in the gulf. We acknowlege the common law spouse situation in UK. So suppose it depends on country and school

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Nice benefit, KL. Are you in KL? The OP will want to know where to look, as benefits for unmarried couples are quite rare.

6. I'll drop her a line. It seems that SE Asian much more liberal as I know schools also in Thailand and Vietnam who also operate this policy. Cheers

7. Thank you all for your advice - there's certainly a lot to think about!
    Would anyone have any tips on writing a good covering letter to an International School? Someone previously advised me to adapt my CV to suit the international market, but are there any dos/don't on the initial covering letter?
    Thanks again!

8. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

Sell the partner and use the cash to live the high life!!!

[​IMG]