1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the kids to London tomorrow

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Jul 27, 2011.

1. It's years since I've been to London and I'm trying to finalise our plans. I want to take my kids to Covent Garden but I can't remember if the street performers are on all the time or just at weekends. Do any of you lovely people know?
    I was hoping to go to Highgate cemetery, but I think I've left it too late to book a tour. I've booked a trip on the London Eye and my son has requested a trip to theTate Modern. Anyone got any other suggestions?

2. dande

dande New commenter

3. Oooh, thanks for that link. We are travelling by train, so those offers will be really useful.

4. How many children? how old? how are you travelling? How long are you staying? What sort of budget? If by train, be sure to pick up two for the price of one entry vouchers at rail stations. Tate modern is free ( mostly) so is National gallery,Science museum, natural history museum are free,Boat rides on the Thames get a lot of sight seeing done in one go, Kew gardens and London wetland centre are beautiful, but time consuming if children are not interested in plants and ducks,also a long way from the centre. London zoo, or Battersea zoo for small animals, Tower of London for a mega dose of history, and the crown jewels of course, but very expensive. London dungeon, a bit gory. Aquarium, right by the London eye, The london transport museum is right in covent gardens, if you have any little boys ( sexist remark, I now)

5. The street performers will be on and because it is a Thursday the food market should be too, they sell all sorts of yummy things (most regional, organic or locally produced). Well worth a look.

6. Science and Natural History Museums free and fun. Have a fab time, just being in London is exciting enough!

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I was in London yesterday and was glad to leave. Hot and dirty, the place could do with a drop of rain to clean it up - though hopefully not while you are there with the children, of course.
    My daughter took us to the Edgeware Road in search of a halal meal, but the hookahs (some openly smoked by young children), the noise, the traffic, the heat and the grime took away my appetite.
    Gosh, do I sound like an old woman, or what?

The museums are lovely, yes.

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

there are there most of the time during the hols.

Also the walk up for the tate along the embankment is full of them, IE to or from the eye

9. Natural History Museum and the Science Museum are fab and both are free, they take a while to get around though. There's always performers in Covent Garden, especially at this time of year and if you're heading to the London Eye there's the aquarium just by there.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Some of the green spaces and squares are lovely too -especially for children

11. lalala

lalala New commenter

I just got back at the weekend from a 2 week break in London with mini-la. There's loads of entertainment along the South Bank as there's a summer festival on (I'm assuming its still on!). We got off the Tube at Westminster, walked across the bridge and ambled our way along to the Tate Modern, enjoying the entertainment and installations on the way. Was free and fun!
    Was a very long walk, mind you [​IMG]

12. You can go in the one side of Highgate cemetrey for free and don't need to book a tour, having said that the tour is good.