1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the jump

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by greigramage1993, Feb 12, 2016.

1. greigramage1993

greigramage1993 New commenter

Hello all,

I have recently been offered a position in an international school in Germany. I am in my first full year of teaching in Scotland, and have been offered a job primarily teaching a German curriculum. Would this experience be beneficial, for example, if I wanted to move to another international school in the future? As I know many schools look for a minimum of 2 years exp, does this need to be in the UK?

Thanks.

2. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

Do it. I would kill for that opportunity. Still trying to fight my way through interviews.

liberty likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Having taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE, Qatar and now China, I would say that teaching overseas beats teaching in the UK, any day of the week. Yes, Germany might well be a good place to start your international career. Just make sure that you do not do anything silly or dangerous, like teaching in the UK.

SUPER.SUPPLY likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A German curriculum? Sounds interesting, but not particularly useful in terms of teaching outside Germany. Most international schools will teach IB, British curriculum or American curriculum.

However, that's not to say you shouldn't go for it if you feel it is a good opportunity, if you would like to work abroad, etc. No-one can guarantee you a job in the future, no matter what sort of experience you have. If a job is being offered and the school looks nice and has a good reputation, there's no reason to turn it down unless you don't fancy it.

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Take a jump.........Jeronimo..............GOOD LUCK. I wonder how a German Curriculum works?

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE I wonder how a German Curriculum works?[/QUOTE]

Probably very efficiently.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

The only thing to think about is how your German curriculm experience may look what you move on to somewhere else. Some schools much prefer the UK curriculum to have been taught and so may see you having not taught it for a couple of years as a disadvantage. I'm not saying it will be, but that's how some heads may see it.