1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the baby out

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by princessmelody, Jan 5, 2011.

1. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Just after some advice really. LO will be 12 days old on saturday and OH parents want to go out for a meal to (quite a fancy) pub. The pub knows that we are bringing a baby so will be putting us in a quiet corner, but I'm really worried as I'm definitely not a dab hand at the breastfeeding yet and I feel it's too soon. When I agreed to this it was a meal at the MILs house. it's to celebrate BILs birthday and arrival of LO. I've told OH he can go on his own but he said if I don't go then neither will he....sweet thought but now I feel even more pressured!!! Am I being unreasonable not wanting to go? Any tips on breastfeeding in public? Thank you :)

2. princessmelody

Oh, and I can't escape once I'm there without taking OH with me as I had a c section and I can't drive yet

3. #youngest was born late Saturday night. I came home from hospital early Sunday afternoon.
    Well, we got home eventually - via the pub. Frankly I felt I'd earned the drink.
    Cummon lass, you're not driving - make the most of it. Take a blanket to wrap round you and baby. If you mess it up, let the others deal with baby and you have a break and a beer.

4. First of all congrats to you; hope things are going well.
    I think you need to do what is best for you and no you're not being unreasonable. I tried to BF in the creche at church when LO was 6days old but couldn't master it ( there was a daddy in the group and I didn't want to offend/embarrass him although I'm sure I wouldn't have in the endO) so went to feed in the loo!! I then managed it a couple of weeks later.
    Bear in mind that you may well be exhausted come day 12 too; you may want to remind OH that the original suggestion was at MILs house where you can obviously go find a quiet room. Or if you do go to the pub, you could ensure that your OH is clear that once you say it's time to go, it's time to go but that's more if tired than overcoming BF in public.
    Don't let people make decisions for you; you've had a c-section and need to rest. I would hope that BIL would understand. Also I think that if they really want to celebrate arrival of LO, MIL can come and clean house, cook meal and be useful; that would be a great present!
    Do do whatever you feel comfortable with; I wish I had been firmer with some guests at times/visits.
    Good luck x

5. Honestly, I wouldn't be overjoyed at a meal and feeding in front of my in laws.
    I went to my mums 60th lunch time party when my daughter was 11 days- but it was at my parents house so I could nip up to my old bedroom and feed/rest in peace and it was MY mum so she could see I was tired and needed to rest.... but even that was a long day. (It was a suprise party organised by my dad- actually organised for the due date- he reasoned that very few babies are born on time, so I should be able to make it.... Men!)
    Apart from feeding, she slept through most of it... so make sure you feed in the car before you go in. There may be somewhere more private you can go and feed... 11 days is quite early to be comfortable feeding anywhere, I am sure they would understand if you went off to feed.... Also, I had a horrible, irrational jealousy of anyone else holding my baby at that stage - esp MIL so the idea of playing pass-the-baby wasn't nice.
    I also had a c-section and was very tired and sore still. It probably will be a long day- sleep won't be great, you will be tired and a little hormonal.... It is a bit of a silly idea of your MIL,
    Hope you can get out if it/it goes OK

6. You are not being unreasonable at all. No way I would have done this when baby was so young and I didn't have c-section. Breastfeeding in public does get easier with time, but both you and your baby are still learning right now. Plus you must be exhausted.

7. princessmelody

Thank you for your replies. If it was just a trip to the pub I'd def do it but it'll end up being 4 courses plus conversation, which I'd usually love! Anyway, spoke to OH and he's told his parents I'm not going. Then if I feel like it I may go but at least I don't have to worry about it!