1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

taking sick leave before taking new post

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fmwbio, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Sorry to bother everyone. I've seen a similar post to this a few years ago but just wanted to clarify where I stand.

My current post is making me ill. Physically, mentally, emotionally ill. Today I reached melt down but my worries fell on deaf ears with SLT. My heart races, my legs feel as though they are going to give out, my hands shake. I'm in tears most days and can't eat; I have nightmares and my family life is suffering.

All my lessons have been observed as good or outstanding, my working practices are shared as good practice, I have met every responsibility given to me and then some. Unfortunately, I'm being victimised by a family and am powerless to deal with their offspring who are making no bones of the fact they are out to get me. I can't go into details: it is how it is and is the reason I'm leaving the post.

I have a lovely new job to go to (still in teaching profession). It was conditional on my completed DBS check and health questionnaire. Both have come back clear and I have my induction days booked at my new school.

Some questions:

IF I get signed off sick (whether it be with stress or with one of the physical symptoms so I don't have 'stress' recorded on my record) will it affect my new job?

Could I end up with no job at all?

I've not completed my final PM in my current post. It's due in the next couple of weeks. Will this have any bearing?

And finally, if I've got to go in for the next few weeks then how do I avoid a break down? Not teaching the family in question / taking it further with union / governors etc isn't an option at this point. After 15 years of teaching I don't have the fight left in me and just want to quietly withdraw from the whole experience.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If a family are targeting you, have you considered either:

a) reporting the harassment (or threats) to the police? Just Because it happens in school doesn't make it legal) or

b) Speaking to a solicitor to see if you can take civil action against them?

I'd go for (a) myself, I think.

As regards your new job, I'd try to complete my PM if at all possible' If you have completed a health form for your new job, it may have included something along the lines of 'any outstanding illnesses' to be disclosed, so I might be tempted to speak to the HT of the new school rather than hiding it.

But others here can probably give more informed legal advice.

Good luck - count the days!

NB You could take time off sick, but self-certificate and not go to a GP on more than one occasion between now & the end of term (maybe when you teach that pupil).... Just a thought.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Sounds awful - I do feel for you. My concern is that if you go sick with stress/anything else from now until the end of term, you'll likely have to see Occupational Health to assess your fitness to teach for September. Which will have to go to the new school, as they have a duty of care.

So, yes, please consider what FolkFan says. If you are being targeted and harrassed then you can take it to the police.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm also with FolkFan - there is no reason whatsoever why this should not be reported to the police (indeed, it SHOULD be) and if your head has either refused to do so or simply not even considered it, then you must do so for yourself.

If you have a record of incidents, physical evidence and/or witnesses, be sure to present these to the police and continue to record incidents if more occur.

I'm puzzled about your statement "Not teaching the family in question / taking it further with union / governors etc isn't an option at this point." Why?

5. Thank you for the advice.

I think the several periods of self-certified absence sounds the best way forward. I don't have to pretend: I'm fighting migraines, throwing up, shaking, just from nerves. Unfortunately, in a school of <50 students, I come into contact with the student several times a day.

I appreciate taking it further is the right thing to do but as I said, I'm so utterly exhausted and feeling ill with it that I don't have the fight left in me and can't face having anything more to do with it whatsoever. The head and governors have a policy of not supporting staff with out of school actions, too. In fact, we get close to disciplined over it. I'm just counting the days.

Thank you for your advice, folks.