1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking photos of children behaveing badly in lessons

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Rabi, May 5, 2013.

1. Hi Governor,
    I wonder if you could help me by responding to my following questions.
    Q1. Is it illegal to take photos of pupils behaving badly - breaking things, kicking, running around, shouting out, defing instructions, letting others to learn regularly, and help to tackle these pupils by senior management or others is not available immeditely?
    The intention of taking photos is to produce the photoes as evidences to the parents and authorities or to show the students when they calm down to help them to reflect on their behaviour, and deter them from doing it again..
    Q3.Does taking photos of badly behaved children is againt the Child Proteciton Policy?
    Q4. Are there goverment restrictions about taking photos of badly behavied pupils in lessons? Where can I find information about it?
    Q5. If taking photos are illegal then how do schools take photos of students and put them on schools web pages?
    Kind regards,
    Robbie Islam

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As governors are responsible for strategy not day-to-day management you might be better posting this on the Headteacher forum.
    You don't explain the background but I'm going to guess it is that you have taken photos of children in school in the circumstances you describe and been disciplined or threatened with discipline by your headteacher.
    If my guess is right then you don't ask the most important and relevant question, which is "Can my headteacher instruct me not to take photos of badly behaving children in class?" The answer to that question is 'Yes'. It's irrelevant whether it also forbidden by law.

3. Thanks, your response is helful.
    Two things I am still not clear.
    Q1. If the headteacher have not instructed not to take photos or if it is not being written in any school policy documents, and a teacher trries to take or take a photo of a badly behaved child then what do you think the headteache can do?
    Q2. Why it is irrelevant if it is not forbidden by the laws? does that mean the headteachers are above the law?
    Kind regards,
    Robbie Islam

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Which government are you enquiring about?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Instruct you not to do it again and if you do discipline you. That's not the only possibility though. The headteacher might consider it already breaches the general principles of the school's Safeguarding, Behaviour, or Data Protection Policies.
    It's irrelevant because there is no law that expressly states that you are permitted to take photos of children in this way so the headteacher isn't acting above the law or breaching the law. The headteacher is entitled to tell you how things will be done in your school. There doesn't have to be a law forbidding it before the head can forbid it in your school.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Rott Weiler is absolutely correct. Do not do this EVER.