1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking over a class- what do I need to get?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cazzielou, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

After Easter I am starting a job in a year 1 classroom taking over from someone who is going on maternity leave. I have been in the school a couple of times getting to know the children and teaching assistant but their current teacher is away on sick leave now and isn't expected to be back before Easter holidays so I will not get a real handover from her.

I am completely new to the school do I have been learning some of their routines but it has been hard as I have been working with a supply teacher on the times that I have been in and she doesn't know about the routines herself. I want to start after Easter feeling that I know what I am doing, rather than being thrown in at the deep end like I feel at the moment

The deputy showed me how to get into the system today and told me to print off any planning and policies I want to look over. I have started to make a list ready for next time I am in on Thursday. If there is anything anybody can add it would be most appreciated, or if anyone has started part way through a year can you tell me anything you wish you had known from the offset or anything you spent ages looking at and it was a waste of time!

so far I have:

?Medium term plans

?Examples of daily planning expected from me

?weekly timetable

?daily routines inc times

?intervention group info

?key children background info (deprived area)

?IEPs and and reward schemes for ind

?chn levels in all subjects

?marking policy

?assessment policy

?behaviour Policy

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Seating plans. Which children should absolutely NOT sit next to eachother if you decide to change seating plans. Any friendship issues to be aware of. What the TA's responsibilities are / have been. Any children responsibilities (e.g. do you have a floor monitor / art monitor etc). Whether they are part way through reading a class book (you are bound to have a few who will go crazy if they don't hear the end of the story). Any trips that are in plan. Sure there are more which others will add. Good luck x

3. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

Ooh thanks, I have seen a few friendship issues already being in there 2 mornings but I am sure there are others I am unaware of. I was told today we have a trip planned on the second week back! (by one of the parents asking if she could help out, the school aren't very organised!) Have added these to my list :) x

4. chocolateworshipper

Oh and make sure you have the lunch menu to hand. Taking lunch orders will be one of the first things you do - so you don't want that to go wrong!

5. guided reading - groups, rota, what planning needed, abilities of groups etc

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This must depend on the school. I just ask who wants a school dinner that day and send the numbers off to the office. Never note who or what they are having.

Well I used to, now it is electronic and so I just click on dinner or packed lunch. Still have no menu or clue what they eat.

7. chocolateworshipper

Fair point. I should have said - if your lunch system is the same as ours, where we have to log which children want a school lunch - and which of the 3 choices they want :)

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sheeeesh! Glad I don't.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sheeeesh! Glad I don't.

When I took over part way through a year a couple of years ago I think I just got topic headings and vague levels for each child. That was more or less it. The freedom was fab!

10. Beware the "Mrs So and So does it this way" thing though.
    I took over some insistent Y3s once when an NQT - they were a nightmare. I just assumed that Mrs So and So's way of doing things must have been good. Several years later, I wish that I had more confidence in myself at teh time.
    They will be your class. Do it your way... I bent over backwards to keep things the way Mrs So and So would like it done. More fool me. She didn't thank me for it.

11. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

thanks for all your help guys. I am an NQT of sorts although this is my second class and third job so I have plenty of confidence in doing things my way, already got the ya clearing some boards for me tomorrow :) the groups are not a problem as I will be getting all the level info and the groupings are all on the wall so should be fine. Dinner register is all done by the ya in the morning so I don't need to worry about that, and the menu is stuck on the wall anyway, alongside everything else, there is literally not an inch of spare wall free! Are there any other policies I should be aware of?

12. I have just completed my first week of a maternity cover. The marking policy and the behaviour policy are the only two I have read properly.
    Get hold of a copy of the Staff Handbook, that has plenty of information in it usually. Make sure you know who to contact, and their number, if you are off sick. Be prepared. Just one week in and my senile mother has had a fall and been taken to hospital. Just what I don't need when I'm not yet established in post.
    Know who your line manager is and make good use of them. Don't be afraid to ask questions. When you start in September people go out of their way to help new staff but by this end of the year everyone has their own pressures and don't look out for you so much. They aren't being mean just busy.
    God luck with the job. Enjoy.