1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking over a challenging class in January.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CDuffy15, Dec 11, 2017.

1. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

Hi all!

I have finally found a new school to finish my NQT year in after not having such a good time in my current school. It is a larger than average inner city school with high PP and SEN and around 600 children which is the complete opposite from my current small village school with only 102 pupils.

From my observations so far, there is a lot of challenging behaviour in my class (three children weren't in the class when I taught my lesson for interview). It was asked during interview how I would build relationships with the parents and I answered to hold a meet the teacher session.

So now I've offered it, I know I need to do it. Can anyone suggest the types of things I can/should talk about? What do the parents want to hear? TIA.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They'll want to know that you know what you're doing, that you have had good handover and know as much as possible about the children, and that you'll listen to them.

I'd make sure it's a couple of weeks into term, so that you've had a chance to get to know the children. You could cover all the usual sort of expectations/curriculum stuff, but I'd keep it fairly brief, and make sure it's clear that you know what they've done last term ("building on their work on X, this term we'll be..."). My daughter's reception teacher asked us all to write down a target we had for our child for their first term (I suspect that told her a lot about the parents, as well as making us feel listened to) - I don't know how well that specific question would work further up the school (and you might need to be sensitive to those with poor written English). If you put out books and things for parents to look at, you could perhaps finish with some mingle-time when parents can grab a minute or two to say hello. There, if you can show that you know the child, that will help no end - try and have a positive comment about each up your sleeve. (If you have a lot there, perhaps you can suggest that this is a time for those who don't normally collect their child from school to talk to you, as you'll hopefully be able to talk to those who do the school run another day.)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't really add much more to frustrum's good advice
    .Pretty much sums it up.