1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking on extra "responsibilities" unofficially

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pl501, May 3, 2019.

1. Pl501

Pl501 New commenter

My HT has told me that long term, she would like me to take on the position of KS1 lead and coordinator.

I'm an NQT this year, however (career change), and so she says I'm not ready to step into that role in September. She has asked me to take on the responsibilities of the role, without pay or acting title, for the next academic year.

If I do it for a year, she's hinted I'd have a good chance at "pleading my case" in getting the job the year after next.

I fear that she's just manipulating me into doing work with no pay off and taking advantage of the fact she knows I'm eager to climb the career ladder. I think if she thinks I'm able to do the work unofficially, surely I should be entitled to an acting title?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Say thanks for the offer but you would like to concentrate on your teaching and consolidate. Say you would be interested in shadowing the new ks leader. Head is trying it on.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no.

Piranha likes this.
  4. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Definitely, definitely not!

Piranha and dunnocks like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I'd be more concerned about the pay than the title. Posts #3 to #5 say it all.

6. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

No. Being assertive now means you are less likely to be taken advantage of. If you want the post then go back to her and say you would like it but there's no way you are going to do it without the additional recompense (check the school's pay policy to see what is appropriate) but you are willing for them to make it a temporary 1-year post so, if in their opinion, it hasn't been successful in that year they can appoint someone else without any fuss.

Piranha likes this.
  7. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

The phrase often used ,but not in this it will be it will be good for your career development.

If you work in an Academy, check the Annual Report to see whether the HT had a pay rise last year, well worth knowing in this situation.

8. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I recall another phrase used..."You are paid in two ways, one is experience and the other is money" - I've seen those who follow the former path be taken advantage of, often to the tune of tens of thousands of pound over the years. If the job needs doing then it has to be worth paying someone to do it AND they'll get the experience.

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

What kind of head teacher tells someone they are not ready to step into a role and then asks them to do exactly that?

sabrinakat and Piranha like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with advice about not taking it on for nothing but can't for the life of me think how knowing whether the head got a pay rise last year will help an NQT respond to the head's 'offer'. I expect all staff got a payrise, albeit less than they wanted/deserved. The head got one too. So what?

Piranha likes this.
  11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Your HT is breaking the law - you should seek advice from your union.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Which law? I have never heard of one. I am not sure that the union can do a lot either. It is a simple choice - either take the role on unpaid and hope it works to your advantage or just say no. I would opt for the latter.

13. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I can't remember now - the post I responded to has disappeared!