1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking non-teaching staff on trips abroad

Discussion in 'School trips' started by sep1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Does anyone know if there is a difference between taking teaching and non-teaching staff on a trip abroad, in terms of reponsibilities they can be given or insurance if things go wrong. We would prefer to take teachers on our trip to France but need arguments why this is important so that we can persuade senior management to allow us to take more staff out of school

2. Does anyone know if there is a difference between taking teaching and non-teaching staff on a trip abroad, in terms of reponsibilities they can be given or insurance if things go wrong. We would prefer to take teachers on our trip to France but need arguments why this is important so that we can persuade senior management to allow us to take more staff out of school

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We use TAs, lab techs, office staff and even caretakers as responsible adults on our trips. The clue is in the word 'responsible'. We take non-teachers abroad as well. I have organsised local trips where there were no tachers on them however for aa residential type trip I would tend to want some experienced teachers as they tend to be more confident in taking deisions/responsibility. By the same token I would prefer an experienced TA on a trip than a wet behind the ears NQT!

4. misspent

misspent New commenter

Totally agree with blazer, we take exactly the same mix of people on our trip to France. It can be very disruptive to take a lot of teachers and can cause bad feeling with those who are left to cope with the onsluaght of cover lessons. Our mix also includes retired teachers, it works very well and I would stress that you don't have to be a teacher for a trip to work well.

5. Just remember that support staff are paid hourly - thats going to be a heck of a lot of overtime you will need to pay them!!

6. Our support staff are not paid any extra at all. They like all staff that go on residentials are given one day off in lieu.