1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking my cat from uk to china

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by danniellaphillips, Oct 10, 2017.

1. danniellaphillips

danniellaphillips New commenter

Hi, one thing im certain of is that i want to take my cat with me to china, no matter what the cost.

I wonder if anyone else has done this and could give me some advice on overall cost, coping with Chinese quarantine, best airlines est...

2. pinot

pinot New commenter

I took two cats to SE Asia from the UK - PM me if you want further help and advice. Also, thank you for treating your pet as family and not a disposable material good.

rednelly84, towncryer and sunshine011 like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Many staff i know have shipped their pets from the UK into Shanghai no problem. Cats could be quarantined in the appartment for 2 weeks and then a vets check up and its all done.

The real expensive headache is trying to ship pets out of China into the uk and the 6 months quarantine needed by law back home.

ml02slc likes this.
  4. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I'm also planning on doing this with two cats (if I get a job that is!). Can someone give me more details on the quarantine business?

5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I know there are companies that do this. Someone posted a link to one once. I can't remember what they were called but look for a pet relocation service. Expensive but they'll handle the paperwork.

6. LCass

LCass New commenter

We brought our cat from Germany to China this summer. He is already a seasoned traveller as he is a stray cat who one day just walked in through the door when we lived in Oman and has moved from Oman to Germany with us. This summer, we flew Frankfurt to Shanghai with Lufthansa who were brilliant - our kitten was able to fly in the cabin with us, which made things a bit easier in Shanghai (less paperwork to fill in) and certainly made me a bit calmer as I could monitor him throughout the flight.
    Cost-wise going from Germany was cheaper than getting him into the EU from Oman. We also paid a pet relocation service to help us a bit with the organisation of everything in China but that was more for a peace of mind since his paperwork is from two different countries - you certainly do not need this as we still did all the paperwork, handed our cat over to the quarantaine officer and only afterwards passed paperwork on to the relocation service. The only thing they really did for us was to check for completeness of paperwork (not an issue if you use the appropriate vet in your departure country), and picked our cat up from the quarantaine station a week later. The service cost us about GBP 500, which included the GBP 240 for quarantaine.

The fairly unneccessary relocation service aside, the costs were not too bad. The cost for the flight (travelling in the cabin) was € 70. You also need an international health certificate issued by a government vet within a week of flying, which in Oman cost about GBP 100 and in Germany €15 - quite the difference, and I would expect the UK to be closer to the German price. If your cat does not yet have rabies vaccinations, there is also the cost of this to consider - again, in Oman this was vastly more expensive than in Germany where the vaccinations costs between €40 and 50. I would also have a rabies titer test done in the UK, which is required for re-entry into the EU and remains valid as long as you stick to yearly booster shots. It's very expensive to have that done outside the country as the blood needs to be checked by an EU-approved lab. In our case, the vet in Oman sent the vial of blood to a lab in Germany - not cheap.

There is a way around quarantine as well - if you fly into Guanghzhu in the south, and then take a connecting flight to where ever else you are headed, your cat does not currently need to undergo quarantine. I have read somewhere that their quarantine station is not completed yet, so they just let you skip it. It was not an option for us as the connections from Frankfurt were aweful. The other two airports you are allowed to import pets through are Shanghai (one week quarantine), and Beijing (two weeks I think). Our cat dealt quite well with it all and has settled into his new home super quickly. The process is stressful for everyone involved (cats and their service staff/tin openers) but within a few days, things are back to normal. Our cat seems happier than ever here.

Send me a pm if you have any questions :)

ml02slc likes this.
  7. danniellaphillips

wow thanks for all the feedback guys. £500 is pretty good tbh! i was expecting it to be closer to £1000. its good to see that moving pets is fairly common. My kitty, Clove, is only 6 months old (she will be over a year when we fly) but i want to get everything sorted asap so its a weight off my shoulders.

Once you arrive, do you drive them to the quarentine place or does she get taken at the immigration desk?

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

just a thought, but have you considered that you may struggle to get accommodation when you have pets? as an example, admittedly not China, but in two countries i have worked, the people who had dogs, cats etc had a massive issue getting accommodation, and always had to make significant concessions. if your school is providing accommodation, have you even asked if you are allowed to?

9. danniellaphillips

i have asked and it is do able if i put the time and effort into it. They are currently relocating someone in a similar situation

10. Ms_Love_

Do the rabies vaccinations need to be within the last year? Or 6mths?

Taking two fluffballs to Guangzhou in July!

11. patricejt

patricejt New commenter

Hi guys, I wanted to leave a current comment because I recently brought two cats to China with my husband in February, by ourselves through Guangzhou to Shenzhen -- we did not pay a pet relocation company to help us. We are really happy we did! They didn't need to be quarantined. I remember waking up in the middle of the night in a panic because I was worried it might not go well. So I wrote a 3-part blog about the experience for anyone who is looking for information on the subject, since there were a lot of questions on forums but unfortunately not a lot of follow-up. The link is below. I hope it helps you out!!

Oh yeah, since we've moved here, we haven't had any trouble having our cats in our apartment -- they have gotten medical attention and been groomed, all without problems. There are lots of expats with pets here, so it's really not a big deal. We've also started using tofu cat litter!
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

12. hexum

hexum New commenter

Send me a pm if you have any questions :)—LCass I cannot figure out how to pm you. I am American but live in Germany and am moving to China. I have have had a terrible time finding information on the German end in English. I have several questions, including about the health certificate. In the USA I would get a certificate by a vet and then it would have to be certified by the USDA but do I need that in Germany? Is my vet certificate enough and vaccinations enough? Thank You so much!

13. patricejt

patricejt New commenter

I'm not so sure about Germany, but I do know that the APHIS website had all the up-to-date information about our requirements. We brought a vaccination certificate (given between 30 days and 1 year prior to departure), a health check by a federally accredited veterinarian that was endorsed by the USDA (health check was less than 14 days prior to entering the country), and a picture of the animal, for each cat.

It's a shame that TES won't allow me to insert links, because the APHIS website is helpful. So is the blog post I wrote, it was something that I wish I had read before I ever took off. You can find it by googling "Language Nerds Do Earth" and then going to read --> travel. The posts are called "Four Suitcases, Two Backpacks, Two Cats, and Three Planes." You can contact me from there also. I know that to get to Germany, it is required to have your cat microchipped with a certain chip prior to a rabies vaccine, so we actually got them microchipped with the German requirements too, just in case we move to Germany later :) but it doesn't seem like China requires that, or pet passports.

One thing we also did was have them registered as emotional support animals. That way, from the US at least, they get to come on the plane with you.

14. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

OMG. The big bad mods are afraid of sharing information that could help others move a pet. What is that?

patricejt and towncryer like this.
  15. Ms_Love_

Can I ask what actually happened when you got off the flight in China? A pet relocation company is quoting me £1k for two cats from the UK to GZ but I'm not sure why? I have all of their certificates and a place to board them for a week whilst we choose an apartment with the help of the school. It seems a bit much but I don't know anything about the process and the checking out of pets from airports....

Glad your fur babies got to China safely!!!

patricejt likes this.
  16. patricejt

patricejt New commenter

yeah! We got off the plane, went through customs, got our luggage, and then before the exit we were stopped by the people in the quarantine area off to the side. We went to their counter with all our stuff and pulled out all the documents we had for the cats. The had us sign papers saying we would keep them inside for 30 days. We gave them the address for our airbnb, where we also stayed for a week before moving in to an apartment. They checked all our papers and made copies, and then let us go. Then we never heard from them again.

The pet relocation companies wanted to charge us $5800 for taking care of everything for the cats, and $2k for helping us figure it all out ourselves. I don't really know what they would have done to make it any easier for us, except peace of mind!

englishdragon and Xtinelove like this.
  17. Ms_Love_

How did you actually register them on the flight? Who did you fly with?

Sounds like you did a good job of bypassing the company, I really don't see what they are charging so much for!

englishdragon likes this.
  18. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Xtinelove likes this.
  19. hexum

hexum New commenter

English dragon, where did you arrive? Guangzhou? I have heard that there is home quarintine there but not in Shanghai, still a week. But the secretary at the school said a teacher just walked out with their pet, no quarintine. Can’t tell for sure.

20. LCass

LCass New commenter

@hexum - You will need to find the closest 'Amtstierarzt' to where you live - this is a government vet that will be able to provide the correct stamp. A normal vet certificate is not enough but once you have the certificate by the government vet, it does not require further certification. At least it didn't last August - always good to double check.
    You could ask a relocation agency which paperwork they would need from you as they will always be able to give you the most up-to-date indication of the requirements. The one we used (again, just for a peace of mind, they didn't actually do very much) gave us the list of requirements before we booked with them.
    Does your cat have the European pet passport? If not, the government vet will need to provide the fit-for-travel certificate in form of a letter. Our needed this and it was no issue.