1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking LO to a scan - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by rwegointocomputers, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hi all

I have my 12 week scan in just under 2 weeks (on 1st April!) and just trying to decide whether to take my LO with us. She is 14 months old and well behaved (well most of the time!). Part of me wants to take her (not told anyone else yet and would need to if getting them to look after her, and scan is at 8:15 am so not much time to drop her off somewhere and think it would be nice to have her there).

BUT, do you think this is a good idea? thoughts please...

2. My (very personal) feeling is I wouldn't take a child who is old enough to understand what is happening- although it's pretty abstract even for 3 year old i guess. You Lo isn't old enough to understand the process and meaning so can't see why not, esp if you can't leave her with anyone.
    I just worry about people who take older children. Scans in my experience can be sad as well as happy occasions. Sorry if that sounds negative! I'm sure it's fine to take such a little tot along although she might find it all a bit odd but then everything is new and odd at that age!!

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I took my son to my scans, apart from one which was on New Year's Eve as my MIL looked after him. I had 2 early ones because of some bleeding, a 12 week one, a 21 week one and then a 23 week one because the baby hadn't been co-operative enough at the 21 week one! He was 14 months old when i got pregnant.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Our letter inviting us for the scan said not to bring children (or more than one person of any description!) to the scan. Those rooms are pretty small!
    Hope it goes well, whatever you do x

5. If you're both going - take her unless the letter says otherwise is my vote.[​IMG]

6. My local hospital has big notices on the doors to the ultrasound rooms stating only 1 adult with each patient and it also states very clearly no children.