1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking laptop on holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatebox9, Apr 10, 2011.

1. A. Really stupid idea. It will get damaged or nicked.
    B. Makes more sense than looking for internet cafes.
    Please press A or B on your keypad now.

2. why do you want the internet on holiday? aren't you aiming to relax on hols?

3. Depends on the type of holiday for me. If I'm staying put somewhere I'd take it. If it's a travelling /backpacking type of holiday i wouldn't bother.

4. I'm finishing a part-time uni course and might want to work on an assignment/check out their online forum. Will be in three different places but all have wifi connection.

5. I find using my laptop hugely relaxing and entertaining. Saves a fortune phoning home. Gives me something to do at the airport.
    On the other hand I like to read on holiday. Read a lot. And I don't want to know what's happened anywhere else beyond half an hour of Sky News while I'm getting ready to go out.
    So I usually leave it behind.

6. Take it

Just as likely to be stolen from your empty house [​IMG]

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Leave the laptop....take a Kindle!
    The Kindle will store all your holiday reading.
    In addition it has limited internet capability....easy enough to check yourr e-mails, more difficult to send one - the fiddly kepboard makes typing awkward.
    Checking the forum is do-able on the Kindle.
    The assignment will wait until you get back home - this is supposed to be a holiday!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Leave it, internet cafés are in most places, and it takes up valuable weight in your baggage allowance.

9. You must go to different places to me

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on the holiday really. I have a battered old tank of a laptop with a 12v adapter that I take with me to download my photos onto, just in case my camera got nicked, but I wouldn't risk taking my Macbook.

As for taking any kind of work on holiday, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

11. Wise words mate.
    I shall definitely take it with me next time!

12. Great, something else to worry about. [​IMG]
    I won't be spending £110 on a Kindle and even more on books to put on it.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i agree i never find one anywhere remotly near where i stay.and thats in citiees as well....NY was hell to find a place and Canada
    take a note book with you as they do the job and are lighter.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i often take one with me because im miss tes lol
    and besides how can i keep in touch with my admirers lol

15. Funny you should say that, oldsomeman - the one place in the US (apart from the middle of the desert) that we couldn't find an internet cafe was Silicon Valley!

16. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

IPad sweetie meets all needs very well be careful of roaming charges if using 3G maybe just stick to Wi Fi x

17. How strange that someone called Richie Millions should worry about roaming charges. [​IMG]
    I am leaning towards leaving it at home for the burglars.

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Or you take a few weeks away from it and get a life.

19. Why is having a life incompatible with having a laptop? It has enhanced mine immensely.