1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking home a teddy for diary writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by princesstulip, Dec 12, 2011.

1. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

I'm starting my first teaching job after Christmas with reception. As a nice way to establish myself in the class and with the parents, I would like to have a class teddy which is used for learning in the class and can be taken home by one child each weekend.
    I can see the benefits for encouraging good behaviour, language skills for children describing their weekend with teddy, emotional support etc. I would also like to extend it to a purpose for writing but I'm not sure how to do it as I've only tried it with older children before. I don't want to set an expectation that children write something at home, I don't think that's fair for such young children. I thought of providing time each Monday for the child who took home the teddy to talk and write with an adult, but I don't think it's realistic or appropriate to focus that much on one child on those set days.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. princesstulip

I'm starting my first teaching job after Christmas with reception. As a nice way to establish myself in the class and with the parents, I would like to have a class teddy which is used for learning in the class and can be taken home by one child each weekend.
    I can see the benefits for encouraging good behaviour, language skills for children describing their weekend with teddy, emotional support etc. I would also like to extend it to a purpose for writing but I'm not sure how to do it as I've only tried it with older children before. I don't want to set an expectation that children write something at home, I don't think that's fair for such young children. I thought of providing time each Monday for the child who took home the teddy to talk and write with an adult, but I don't think it's realistic or appropriate to focus that much on one child on those set days.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

3. My son is in f1 and he brings a teddy home every 2-3 weeks. We write together about his dventures and it's a lovely activity. All the parents write in it and from a teacher's point of view, you learn a lot about homelives and parents! I say go for it!

4. I'd agree, with cg82.
    Our foundation unit has a teddy that goes home with children, and sometimes on holiday with them, too! It is as cg82 says a good way to get parents involved and you get to learn more about the child's circumstances etc.
    Wren

5. That flipping bear had a better social life than I did! It went to football matches, met footballers, went lingere shopping (long story) and then the kids decided that the bear liked midnight feasts - cue lots of more and more outlandish tales of him sneaking downstairs on a night to drink all daddy's beer and the like!
    Trouble was - when I took him home to wash, carefully writing in the diary (or the parents would have strung me up!) - one of the kids in the class spotted him pegged out to dry on my clothesline (I lived near school) and liberally grassed me up to the rest of the class!
    Only thing I found when we did it was if you had certain types of parents in the class who wouldn't join in the fun (thankfully we didn't that year) or ...ahem... overcompetitive ones who would write twenty pages with photographs every other paragraph about how Bear had been helping the child with their nuclear physics homework and the like!

6. princesstulip

Finally managed to get back online to read your answers!
    Your experiences sound very encouraging so I think I will send the teddy home with a diary. I may put in a note suggesting that either children can draw a picture and have a go at writing something themselves, even if it's only a couple of words, or parents can help them by writing what their child says.
    Thanks everyone!

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I like the idea of your note. My daughter's year 1 class have two cuddly toys. One went home first with one of the brightest and neatest girls, which meant it was quite an intimidating act for everyone to follow. The other started off with the boys and fell into a pattern of a printed-out picture and a sentence - not so intimidating, but must have meant the first family who didn't have a colour printer felt bad. At least everyone can draw a picture!

8. Done this with a FS/KS1 class - They loved it!! Older children wrote about their time with the teddy bear, whilst some younger children would just draw and add a few words. A few of them wrote quite a lot - They enjoyed it!! Photos were often used. No one seemed to go over 2 pages.
    The bear used to go out quite regularly, so sometimes he would go out home one evening and be back the next day having had the most wonderful adventures! I envied that bear!! :D