1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking early leave from current job to go overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, May 17, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Did your school allow you to take early leave to get organised for a job overseas? Was it a paid leave?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why would your school give you paid leave to get ready to work somewhere else? What one earth is in it for them?
    I have never heard of a school giving you early leave to prepare for another job. If you need the time then resign at an earlier date.

3. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

you get August to do all that, what more do you need!!!???

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You might find yourself the recipient of a strange look and a not-quite-muffled laugh if you ask.
    And possibly the topic of a story he'll share along the lines of "you won't believe what he thought he was entitled to".
    But there's still a quite remote chance you'll get a yes, so if you're ok with the probability of the laughter, give it a shot.

5. Training_2_Teach

A few years ago a collegue left for a job in Budapest and she wasd allowed to leave 4 weeks before the end of the year to pack her stuff from her flat etc and she said teachers moving abroad are entitled to early leave/resignation. That just made me wonder if there is such an entitlement,

6. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

<address> The school will pay you up to August 31st anyway (if that's the date you hand in your notice for). That gives you 6 weeks paid holiday; holiday time that you could spend packing or starting your new job.Asking for more would appear a little ..... cheeky!
    </address>

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Maybe the school was anxious to see her go.

8. Not all schools follow the UK school year so people may not get six weeks holiday.
    I have worked in two schools where the school year is very different and have colleagues who have finished work in the UK on Friday, flown to the new country on the Saturday, slept on Sunday and starting teaching in the new school on Monday.

9. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I understand that. But, their previous school will still be paying them for the six weeks holiday. You don't get the holidays, but you do get two pay packets.

Your other option is to quit earlier, and have the holiday. You can hardly expect your present school to allow you to take time during the school year, requiring them to pay for cover, and still pay you for it, just so you can have time to pack!

10. Training_2_Teach

She was a valued and very talented member of staff.

11. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

OK, well in that case, perhaps the school was showing it's appreciation by being unusually generous.

12. Was she paid for the 4 weeks or just resigned early? I can't see how any school could sanction paying someone for 4 weeks just to pack their flat. If she was paid then as a tax payer - I would want my money back.