1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking codeine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HoneyTrap, Oct 26, 2018.

1. HoneyTrap

HoneyTrap New commenter

Hi all,
    I was in an accident this week which has resulted in me not being able to move my left arm. It is agony, I can just about type on the laptop but anything else is virtually impossible, getting washed, dressed or driving is out of the question. Physio app is in 2 weeks time and I've been told that once I start with them that I will get mobility back.
    Doc has given me Naproxen and Codeine to take, now the codeine is hit and miss with me. Sometimes it dulls the pain which is great, other times it dulls the pain and I feel like I've been on a pub crawl! I am going into work as normal next week (hubster driving and collecting me). Question is, do I need to tell HR that I am dosed up? I will obviously say something about my arm as I will have it strapped up but not sure what to say about the codeine?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I can't take NSAIDS because of a previous stomach problem so for anything paracetamol won't touch, codeine is all I've got. Even at 8mg OTC pills, people think I've been boozing. I do feel "relaxed" but I wouldn't say sloshed or euphoric. I can stop instantly without withdrawal problems.

The ones they send you home with however are well stronger. I took them before going out once, drank nothing because I was driving AND on meds, and someone had a quiet word with my husband saying he should not let me drive because I was obviously drunk.

I contacted my insurer and even if prescribed, they would not cover you if you had an accident whilst taking them. I would in your shoes tell school if only to cover yourself if anything went wrong. You never know, they might say "You poor thing! Take a month off!"

3. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I would expect a return to work interview which would ask what medication you were on, also a risk assessment if you do not have full mobility.

4. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

I would let them know. I’m completely spaced out on codeine and wouldn’t want anybody to think I was on anything else!

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Take this warning seriously!

Do not go to work until you are fully recovered plus a few days,

I took codeine a few years ago after an accident. It killed the pain but made me feel rotten. It also made me constipated. After a week the pain eased and I stopped the codeine. I then had wicked diarrhea and I mean "wicked" with a capital W :eek::eek:.

You don't want that if you are at work,

Lazycat likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Try one ibuprofen and one paracetamol together after a meal.

7. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

Maybe you could ask your doc if you could try something different, which may not have the same negative side effects. You might be able to try Tramadol , short term , for example.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Whatever strong painkillers you are on - side effects or not, you would be wise to discuss with your line manager, not necessarily HR. Management might not want you in, but if they are ok aboutbot, at least someone will know and hopefully be looking out for you.

9. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Sorry about your accident. I hope that the arm heals soon. I have chronic neuropathic pain in my back and have always told the college what I'm taking and of any changes to my circumstances, so that it can continue to support me properly.

Hope this helps!

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Sorry, but I have to ask the obvious ...why are you going into work?

With such pain, physical limitations and medication side-effects ... why?

ATfan, mothorchid and Flanks like this.
  11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

@HoneyTrap
    Sorry if that came across as unsympathetic - I do hope the pain lessens and your recovery goes well.

ATfan likes this.