1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a year out of teaching in uk to travel and teach abroad for a year

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by coco5, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hello, I just have a few queries and wondered if someone out there will be able to answer them.
    Firstly, I have finished my NQT year and am now a qualified teacher, however after this school year I have a real urge to travel the world and teach in a different country for a month or so. Where will I be able to find like minded people to travel with as I don't want to go alone?
    Secondly, what have people's experiences been of telling their headteacher they want a year off unpaid to go travelling and then come back to the same school? That would be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Coco5 x

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

GumTree on the LP website is often very helpful.
    Unpaid leave and then coming back with a certain job - unlikely at best in the current climate. Plenty of other job applicants out there to replace you I would have thought... and the School has no certainty that you will actually return rather than set up shop in a beach shack selling flip-flops to the natives.

3. Hi Coco,
    You could just take a few weeks or a few months off as a sabbatical? That might be looked on with friendlier eyes that a whole year would. There are lots of volunteer projects where you can go and teach English on sites like this http://www.inspiredbreaks.co.uk/Teach%20Abroad or there is the paid work route where you would need to get yourself a TEFL certificate and then get some teaching experience, maybe a programme like this http://www.realgap.co.uk/china-paid-teaching-with-tefl where you get the certificate and then a teaching internship. Good luck and I hope that helped!