1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a year out.... Do local authorities allow you to do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kerrytd, Feb 24, 2012.

1. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

Have you considered a teaching exchange? Depends on how receptive your school is to this idea but you could spend a year teaching in USA whilst keeping your job here to come back to. Have a look at the Fulbright website http://www.fulbrightteacherexchange.org/cte.cfm

2. Thank you. I've looked into this exchange, however i've missed the deadline for this year.
    Has anyone successfully taken a year out to teach in another country?

3. I am too looking to do this

4. Your application to have a "year out" will have to be approved by your school's Governing Body who of course will consult your Head Teacher. Have a look at your school's Absence Policy which should set out time scales for notice of application etc.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

good luck with it
    a great idea which can only imrpove your value as a teacher!

6. I'm going to ring HR on Monday and I'll take a look at the absence policy too. It's all really exciting, I just hope, fingers crossed, that I can do it without losing my job. I love my school and only will do this for a year xx