1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a year out. Anyone know anything about this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, May 29, 2011.

1. I am considering (before getting too old) about taking a year out to teach in America.
    Has anyone done anything similiar?
    If I ring HR for my LEA, do you think they will keep this confidential?

2. I am considering (before getting too old) about taking a year out to teach in America.
    Has anyone done anything similiar?
    If I ring HR for my LEA, do you think they will keep this confidential?

3. Sounds like a great idea,
    You need permission from your governors to take a year's unpaid leave. I'd speak to your head and discuss logistics and asked what they think. If you worked in my school, I'd be equally enthused and encourage you to do it. As you said, you don't want to turn round in 5/10 years and regret not doing it.
    I have been to Tanzania/Uganda the least couple of years and volunteered in schools out there in the summer holidays. It might be worth trying that out first (not neccesarily Africa) and seeing how 4/5 weeks feels first.
    Good luck with whatever you decide

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Can you teach in America? I thought they didn't recognise our teaching qualification?

5. Thank you for the advice. I will speak to my head. The only thing that is worrying me is I have been asked to teach in year 6 for another year. It is an important year but as you said I think I'll only regret it if i didn't. I'm not getting any younger and I want to start a family too after I have done this.
    When I say teaching, I might just volunteer at first, and may end up working in a school but not as the teacher. These things I have to look into.