1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a term out

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 5605, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 5605

5605 New commenter

Dear all,

I've just left a job in a secondary school after one term and plan to work on supply before aiming to get a permanent job for the summer term. I just wondered if anyone had experience of taking a term out and how they addressed it at interview when asked.

Thank you and merry Christmas to all reading.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You might discover that you can't just take one term out. Many more jobs going with a September start.

Why bother presenting the term out as a choice you have made? State that you wished to refine your already strong behaviour management (or whatever sounds good) with the challenge of supply for an indefinite period but '"Now that I've seen this ideal opportunity of working at Seems Okay Academy then I can't really pass it up"

If you're confident you'll pick up supply then you should pick up a permanent job as well. Most secondaries are aware that it's @5605 or nobody which means no probing questions for the half-decent teachers. If you're in the few non-shortage areas then at least supply will give you a chance of experience to flaunt at interview.

Merry Christmas for you as well.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Permanent posts starting at Easter are rare. You'll probably have to do the next two terms on supply.

4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I didn't get asked much about taking the time out but equally I never got offered the job. I'm primary though which is probably the most competitive, if as JohnJCarzola says, you're in a shortage subject in secondary you should be fine. Good luck!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

I had a term out when my father was very ill. I wrote a short sentence to explain in my supporting statement. When I started applying for jobs I had five interviews lined up. Took the second job I had an interview for .. they never asked about my term off so I actually brought it up in the interview myself.

Im secondary and do teach a shortage subject

5605 likes this.