1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a Teaching Assistant Role when qualified as a teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ktgolden, May 18, 2011.

1. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice...
    I qualified as a teacher last year and since then ive had lots of supply work and am currently covering a maternity cover in a school. I am finding it virtually impossible to get a job as I find interviews really tricky and cant seem to get any better at them! The school I am working in now has offered me a T.A level 2 job from next year - would it be a 'step down' to work as a teaching assistant? Im in two minds as I need the experience (and the reference) from one school but also still want to teach?
    Any advice would be great, thanks! x

2. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice...
    I qualified as a teacher last year and since then ive had lots of supply work and am currently covering a maternity cover in a school. I am finding it virtually impossible to get a job as I find interviews really tricky and cant seem to get any better at them! The school I am working in now has offered me a T.A level 2 job from next year - would it be a 'step down' to work as a teaching assistant? Im in two minds as I need the experience (and the reference) from one school but also still want to teach?
    Any advice would be great, thanks! x

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Sounds a bit like they want your skills, but don;t want to pay you properly for them...

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Rather depends.
    Do you think you'll get any supply work next year? If not, at least a TA post would keep you in contact with schools & children.
    Have you managed to complete induction? If not, taking a TA post might mean future employers woud not consider you for a teaching post.
    I work on supply where there are 2 qualified teachers working as TAs just to stay in contact & if I don't get a post for next year I will start applting for such posts. But then I'm nearer the end rather than the beginning of my career & priorities are different.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I did T.A. for a couple of terms while I was still an NQT. I ended up being employed as a teacher at the school I was working at and am still there.
    Take the post, It's better than nothing or waiting around for supply.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

But I wouldn't necessarily turn down the chance of paid employment.

7. I have a friend of a friend who's in his NQT year. He was offered a TA position which he took and a term later became a full-time classroom teacher. It could lead to other opportunities.

8. Thank you for your reply, was really useful. I know ill get supply work next year but this year it was SO slow at starting up, I didnt get my first bit of work until October, and even that was about one afternoon a week so because I know whats coming, I know i cant wait that long for such little money.

I haven't manged to complete any of my NQT year yet which is very annoying. I have an interview for a teaching post on Monday so I've said ill see how that goes and go from there. Im terrible at interviews though so probably wont get it - i know I can teach I just cant get through an interview!

Thanks again x

9. Thank you for your advice. I agree it is better than waiting around for supply. I have a teaching post interview on monday so i will see how that goes and let school know. Im terrible at interviews though!!

Thanks again x

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Not related to the TA post, but just wanted to say - i'm awful at interviews too. I had 9 unsuccessful interviews before securing my NQT post. And the way I got it was via supply- I taught there, they had a vacancy come up and they offered me an interview, and then I got it and haven't looked back since. Don't under estimate the impression you're making while you're on supply!

11. I know, I agree about making a good impression on supply, its just not happened to be the case yet where a job has come up in any of the schools ive taught in. Im now up to number 13 interview!!! Terrible!! So annoying when I know I can teach, I just cant sell myself very well! [​IMG]

Thanks for advice.

12. I am in a similar position to the OP. I qualified last year and despite applying for nearly 30 teaching jobs since I finished training, I am unable to secure any interviews. I applied for my first LSA post today in the hope that it will be able to provide me with an income and some continued experience within a classroom. I am a supply teacher at the moment, but I have only had 21 days since October, which is not enough to live on by any means! Does taking on these sorts of roles really prevent you from applying for teaching posts in the future?

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Don't despair about supply - once it gets going you'll be turning them away. I always found the beg of Sept quiet (and enjoyed myself int he nice weather), but after that...
    And always go into interviews with a positive attitude - coudl you think 'it's not that I am bad at interview, it's that the school wasn't right for me'? You are a quailifed teacher, so you must be able to do it, it's just a case of finding a place where you fit. Believe me, it's the most hideous experience being the face that doesn't!
    Look on supply as good training - it took me a while, but I never looked back, and I look on my time supply teaching as a hugely valuable training ground.
    Let us all know how you got on on Monday - if it's the right place for you, you should walk it!!
    (PS N's handy interview tip - smile a lot, pretend confidence (no-one wants to employ someone desperate!!), and if you're not sure of the question ask for clarification and stop and think - even of what you are thinking is gah! gah! - it makes you look confident, even if you aren't) (oh, and the pages on here on getting a job are v useful too) xx

14. We employed an experienced teacher as a TA last year really successfully. She has now gone back to teaching with no problems at all. I think it would help your confidence levels and help increase your skill levels too.
    Schools are always limited by their budgets so in response to the comment of someone's earlier of them wanting your skills but not paying for them - yes this might be the case, however, perhaps can't rather than won't! They obviousy can see your skills otherwise they wouldn't suggest this role. They might also have something else up their sleeve for later in the year but can't say yet. We have employed people for bits and pieces which have then led to something else and something else and then a permanat job. It might not lead to anything at all, but as with taking any sort of job there is always a risk!!!!
    Good luck whatever you decide! I'm a big believer in following your gut instinct!

15. Depends on how much supply you'll think you will get. In my area supply work is like looking for an oil well. At least it is regular paid work. You could send out cv's anyway at least being based in a school you'll hear of other posts in nearby primaries. If I couldn't keep my teaching post I would do TA work no problem

16. I am the same with monitoring. I go to pieces with someone I know is coming into watch. I play too safe with lesson rather than be me. I'd rather them just drop in !. After all I don't slack so they wouldn't see anything other than what they should be doing.

17. spmills

spmills New commenter

As a teacher, what would you say to a child who said they were not good at something?
    It is important that you focus on the positives from the interviews you have attended. Each interview will give you that little more insight, experience and opportunity to focus on the things you are good at.
    When I applied for my first job, got interviewed, and then wasn't appointed, I thought that I was rubbish at interviews too. It wasn't until a very experienced head told me that I should think about what skills I have as a teacher to make children see the positives in themselves that is changed my views. The next job I applied for, I got and have been there since.
    Chin up.