1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

taking a maternity post

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MrsECullen, Oct 12, 2011.

1. hello,
    I need some advice . . . I have been offered a maternity post leading to a permanent job at a fab school which i have accepted, my dilemma is what happens if something goes wrong with the pregnancy after I have handed in my notice? could I be left with no job at all ? My head is pushing for me to hand in my notice so they can appoint a replacement which i understand but I am worried I may end up without a job and a big mortgage to pay!
    MrsECullen

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you might - if that's what the contract says.
    An employee on mat leave has to give a certain number of weeks' notice of her intention to return - I think it is 4.
    So normally the mat contract has the same notice period.
    If, however, your new contract , although replacing the absent colleague in the first place, is permanent, there is no risk.
    You've got a few weeks yet, to contact the school and get clarification, and then decide if you wish to take this risk.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Almost, old chap. Just 21 days notice are required under Burgundy book conditions.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I agree that you most definitely should have a good read of the contract once it comes through. If it isn't a permanent contract then you only have their word that the maternity post will continue to a permanent role.
    I have just taken a maternity cover and my contract is temporary and open ended with the clause that it will terminate, with notice when the post holder returns. It does also give my notice period as being two months before the end of term and three months before the end of summer term. From reading other peoples posts about maternity cover, it seems I am very luckly as most people have 21 days notice in their contract. I have even read posts where people have stated that it gives just 7 days!
    If your contract is temporary, you need to contact the school to express your concerns. Good luck.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unless the contract is a permanent one, it's going to be a gamble. I would also suggest asking for clarification on the "becoming permanent". Has the postholder said they're not returning? How sure are they? (They might be very sure - there's been cases where husband is going to be relocated during the maternity leave, so they know from the start that they're not going to be in the area by the end of the maternity leave. But some people change their mind, especially if husband is made redundant and so family finances change.) Have they actually put in a resignation (unlikely, except in the relocation scenario)? Or maybe the "becoming permanent" is because they're sure that another member of staff will be retiring? If they're claiming the post will become permanent, I think you need to push them on the grounds they have for saying that, and the likelihood.

6. Thank you for your replies, I am worried now that I have accepted the post not being sure what is actually on offer ! The post holder has verbally said they are not returning hence the 'permanent' job, although this hasn't been put in writing and I believe doesn't have to be at this time. I think I need to ring up and ask for a meeting to clarify these points. Also what notice do I have to give ? do I have to resign by the 31st of October to start beginning of March ? My head wants me to resign asap so they can get a replacement (it's nice to know how valued you are !!) but do I have to before 31st October ? Sooo many questions going round my head at the moment !
    MrsECullen

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me! What's the rush!
    If the job doesn't start until Easter, then you have until 29th February (it's a leap year) to resign.
    If it starts at the beginning of March, however, then you have a problem, because your current school would expect you to stay until the end of the Spring Term
    You resign 31 October for a January start . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

8. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

If your current post is permanent you are taking a huge risk if you give it up to take a maternity cover. There are NO guarantees that a maternity post will lead to a permanent post.
    The person you are covering for may have her baby and decide that being a full time mum is not for her and she wants her job back. Unless she has put her resignation in writing then she has every right to do this.