1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taking a lesson for interview in Art and Design

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by artbot, Jun 15, 2011.

1. As the title suggests I will be interviewed at an Independent school-I need to have an interesting and challenging lesson-Can anyone suggest any ideas here? Any help appreciated. Cheers

2. For an interview lesson: I took prawns and crabs and the students (Year 10) did obsevation work in pastel on mid-toned paper. It was a cracking lesson, and there was plenty for a non-specialsit observer to marvel at..and a good outcome to show the panel. Sadly it didn't get me the job, but it was a fix anyway. the internal candidate of course.
    At independent schools beware that the kids are treated much more gently and can be very critical of their teachers themselves. It's not for everyone, but if you can get them on your side with a 'novelty', you might win them over.
    Whatever you do, make sure the children are all 'engaged' and have a good chance of success, and do an evaluation/critique at the end.
    Good luck.

3. Yes they were very engaged but it was only a 20 minute lesson so I didn't have time for a critque-however I did go around showing examples and giving encouragement-but that was thursday and now it saturday so it hasn't happended I afraid-

4. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

It's a good idea to plan in advance of ever being called for an interview a small selection of ready-resourced tasks that you can customise and use in this situation - and a end-of-session pin-up-and-crit/praise doesn't take long, and gives you a good chance to butter all up, included the school. Plan around what <u>you</u> are comfortable doing - as advised, aspects of obs drawing are always good, have egs related to est artists doing same subject matter, for crit at end, makes you look as if you've got Artists at your fingertips - as long as you don't do what one person I knew did, and misattribute them all the time when talking!! good luck for the future, but planning and resourcing a bank of such tasks in advance saves a lot of last minute dashing round and panic.

5. Good idea-I didn't get the job but was close! the job was going to be split but they got someone with both music AND art-who is good at both!!I am a bit grumpy after that but I will keep trying....

6. Sorry Artbot, alos job hunting and I feel your pain. You're allowed to be grumpy, well done for keeping on trying

7. Hey please can people keep responding to this post with ideas or share their experience of good 20-30minute lessons that have worked or not worked as this is most helpful? I am finding that I am trying to cram way too much in at interview as I worry they are not learning enough or that they are going to finish too quickly! Any advice would be great on what has helped other people!!