1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Takeaway

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Sep 13, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

It seems to me that a number of fellow foodies have takeaway on a semi-regular basis.
    I can count on one hane the number of takeaways I have had in the last 10 years:
    a) I find them expensive
    b) I can make better myself

What do you think?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I have takeaway about once a fortnight. You're right on a and b, but I reckon it's ok to be lazy and eat shite once in a while.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

TBH curry and Chinese are good, but never as good, as a takeaway.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'd say quite the opposite! I almost always think "that filled a hole biut it wans't a patch on my curry". But perhaps that's because I'm out in the sticks- perhaps the choice is better elsewhere?

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

We have one or two takeaways a month.
    Sans doute, the takeaway is more expensive and of a lesser quality than what one can muster at home, but they serve a purpose, which is to fill a hole when you are short of time, can't be *****, or are full of beer. Sometimes all three of those coincide!
    We are lucky in that we have a good Bangladeshi takeaway, a decent Chinese takeaway (insofar as Chinese takeaways go; most are unspeakably vile), and a very good chippy all on our road, within 150 yards of our front door.
    What I have noticed is that whilst a decent Indian/Bangladeshi takeaway is fairly easy to find and you are always fairly likely to get something at least quite good; Chinese takeaway food in this country is generally completely awful. Everything tastes the same and seems to be based around the same glutinous sauce, and full of sugar.
    It also bears no resemblence to real Chinese food, which is a delight. Sichuan food, especially, I am happily addicted to. I suspect that authentic Chinese food is easier to find in larger cities, and especially in that there London.
    Chinese starters are always the best bit too - anyone else noticed how you can fill up on lovely prawn toasts, spring rolls, crispy duck and salt n pepper prawns and then then feel deflated when you realise your main is stodgy and tasteless, and wish you'd just bought loads more starters? Just remind yourself that it's all deep-fried next time, though...
    Pizza can be hit and miss. If you've a decent one near you, they can be great, if not, they can be execrable.
    Chippies, ditto, although they're the most reliable of them all.

You must get fish and chips in sometimes, H?

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We're quite lucky in that we have some very good quality takeaways nearby. The takeaways that we order from are people cooking proper, authentic food from scratch.
    Yes, they are expensive and yes, I am confident I can make them better myself.
    But...they are a treat and (particularly in the last few months) when I'm tired, it is more appealing than cooking.
    If I really wanted to justify it, I could say that I'm helping to keep people in business.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

We moved to this house in 2003 - have not had food delivered once!

tbh: we cannot afford it!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Takeaway, friday evening when both knackered! So what it's not gourmet food, but when you can't be ***** to cook due to work/tiredness/ etc, it's the answer.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You can have takeaway without having it delivered!

It's not possible to get it delivered here... doesn't mean I've not bought chips occasionally though!

10. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

No takeaways here! They simply don't exist where we live.
    Agree with henriette, it would be too expensive (family of five, six when eldest back from university)

11. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Although there are versions of the takeaway in France, no?
    Choucroute garnie, for example? Many French people buy this ready made from a butcher and heat it up at home.
    Similar sort of thing?

12. landaise

Not where I live there isn't!

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ah...my apologies Landaise, I assumed you meant France generally, rather than where you live specifically.
    Do you live somewhere fairly rural, out of interest?

14. landaise

More than fairly rural: 5kms from the village which is our postal address, nearest neighbour 300m away, no mains water or gas.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ah...I see...so the chances of getting a pizza delivered are fairly remote then, if you excuse the bad pun...!
    Sounds idyllic, though. Where in France are you?

16. landaise

Les Landes.........hence user name!
    We do love it here, for me the best place we've ever lived, despite the inconveniences there can be:nearest supermarket 10kms away, hypermarket 30mins drive, NO public transport, no streetlighting (no, that's a real plus, especially in winter with a starry sky, it's simply beautiful!)

17. I'm not a fan of take-aways.
    Partly because of the ridiculous cost; partly because I prefer my own home-cooking (my Chinese cookery is better than the local take-away/delivery service!...ditto my curries....and Pizza is sadly off my menu, unless I make my own cheesless variety); and partly because I care about my food and don't trust that the local places are organic/fair-traid/free-range/compassionately-farmed (and whilst my own cooking is by no means 100% ethical, I make a real effort and am reassured that at least I know what I'm eating!)
    I do occassionally pop across the road to the chippy for a fish supper - maybe once every couple of months at most.
    I don't have deliveries at the door....I don't have a phone to make an order to start with!...and I don't like opening doors to strangers - even ones carrying food!

18. I actually quite enjoy the taste of a chinese takeaway [​IMG]
    Since starting the healthier eating I've had takeaway 3 times this year (1 chinese, 1 pizza, 1 fish and chips). Although actually thats about average - would probably have about 3 or 4 over a year, usually after we have been away doing voluntary work weekends and come home knackered to an empty fridge.
    My main bugbear is the cost, I know that I might not be able to produce the same (my chinese and indian cookery is abysmal and I've only just starting trying to do pizza) but I also know I can produce something tasty and filling for a fraction of the price. OH on the other hand is more of a takeaway fiend - he really likes delivered pizza although he is rarely allowed to have it. On Fridays though he always gets himself something from the chip shop (I am good and have home made soup with toast before going to my Taekwon Do class). I have encouraged him to make something at home but he can't see the point of cooking for one. Thank goodness this man was never a student otherwise he would have been (even more) broke and the size of a small planet.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

BTW....I only ever get Chinese takeaway from a top notch restaurant (the take-away chinky in dire!) and ditto for Indian. I'll only do take-away if I'm prepared to eat in the restaurant!
    Fish and chips is wonderful.........but only about twice a year for us.