1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take work with you

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by german_1, Jun 17, 2019.

1. german_1

german_1 New commenter

I am new to supply and have been asked to take worth with me this week, one day a year 6 class and one day a mixed 5/6 (primary).
    What would you take?
    I am hoping to gather some english and maths that I can differentiate easily (?) but apart from that I am clueless. Any and all suggestions welcome.

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I don't know what I'd take for Y5/6 but I hope they're paying you appropriately for your preparation time.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Plain paper and crayons?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree some basic materials and then just plan a one-off day's topic. Remember at this time of year Year 6s are often doing a production for the end of term and I used to do 'end of school' reflection poems with them.
    Then shapes/ nets for Maths are quite good fun to do with them. Or even introduce them to Sudoku.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I started supply a few months ago I invested in a set of Maths, SPAG, and comprehension books for Y3-Y5 so that I always had something on hand if work had not been left.

I have also made a collection of good worksheets that have been left for me.

I also invested in a subscription to a “sparkling star” website which has been very useful.

This free website may also be useful http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/

Just look at the Y5 and Y6 curriculum, as they are coming to the end of the year anything that you do will be revisiting areas covered to reinforce knowledge.

I was in a school last week and we produced an acrostic poem on Ww2, which was their topic. The children loved it. Any poetry forms such as Haiku always goes down well.

Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Definitely...squeeze a few extra quid out of the agency for this.

I used to have a KS1 folder and a KS2 folder, with generic maths and English practice stuff, divided into year groups just in case I arrived to find nothing. I just grabbed the appropriate one when I had been ‘phoned.

I also kept a few story books for different ages in my bag, and song books for KS1.

But if asked to prepare in advance, I would ask for extra money.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I'd go for the following:

English: take a poem or short story and ask them to choose a character or place after listening and sketch it, write a list of adjectives, similes etc. Literacy shed videos are great for one off lessons.

Maths: bingo, tangrams, coordinates are always popular and take little preparation time. Teach them to play 21 with cards, or find something on nrich like abundant numbers. I've spent ages with classes playing times tables relay races or countdown from nrich.

Afternoon: plan something arty or ask if you can do a PE lesson like rounders or benchball. Or get them to create lapbooks (Look on Pinterest) about their topic.

Unless you're being paid extra to plam or want to impress the school for some reason then do not spend your own time preparing anything onerous! It's highly likely they just want you to keep the class busy for the day and won't keep the work you do!

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Your contract specifically states that you are being paid for 6.5 hours per day or an agreed portion of that day. Without having seen your contract or knowing what your daily pay rate is, I'd say that no one should be expected to work for nothing, not to mention the fact that it is not even legal. You really have to be politely assertive with agencies and clarify what the placement entails and if you are being asked to work outside your directed time, you are entitled either to say no or to request that it is paid. The whole point of doing supply is to fit the work in with your life.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

One I've managed to do quite well at various schools with the older kids is to get them to develop a story book for younger children. Looked at a few examples and discussed what they notice about the text (often repetitive in its nature, very predictable, lots of the story is added to by what's going on in the pictures etc) and from there they've worked together to develop their own story in a similar way. Can bring in D+T if you get them to investigate simple pop up type mechanisms or Art if they get to make their own very simple books as well and it doesn't really require masses of resourcing (just a few picture books you tend to have anyway if you're doing lots of supply in primary).

Also have done designing board games - the Literacy angle is writing rules and clear instructions for it, Maths is shape nets to make the dice and pieces etc and then they can make and playtest them using all the bits in their pencil case they're desperate to get let loose with (colouring in bubble lettering with gel pens takes AGES)... that one can quite easily fill a day as a one-off.

They were my two big "fill a one-off day in upper KS2" standbys at this point in the year.

Another Maths one if you have access to some newspapers or magazines - give them a budget and challenge them to "spend" that budget - but they can only buy one of each kind of item (so they can't buy 3 Ferraris and call it done) - adjust the budget according to the kids. Winner is whichever group get closest to the total you give them without going over.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've used all of those ideas in UKS2, but beware in case the class teacher has also used them after the SATs. already. That's what we did anyway. ;)