1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take them to the abbatoir...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Jun 17, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Whilst I think that your sentiments are valid - children should appreciate that meat and animal products come from animals, and that an animal has to die in order to for someone to eat meat (I personally feel that not enough adults are aware as they should be about this, given the sanitised way in which we eat and buy meat these days) - I can't help feel that taking children to an abbatoir is a little provocative.
    It's one thing to explain that a cow has to be killed in order to provide us with a burger; it's quite another to enforce a child to watch one having a bolt put through its brain and being decapitated. It certainly raises questions about our society, where such things are considered as horrific and distasteful (where other cultures view killing animals as a natural aspect of life), but I don't feel it's our role as teachers to change this societal view. Most, if not all children would find this deeply upsetting, and it's not our position to use such tactics to provoke or stimulate thought.
    Another more practical point to consider is where this would be shoehorned into the NC, given the learning focus needed for educational trips.

2. Should we not use all available (legal) means to provoke thought, ideas and learning?

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I think we should, but my point was using "such tactics" to prove a point. The key is appropriateness to age. I might teach primary aged children about the holocaust, but I might not want to run a field trip to a death camp, or read them The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas (there are certain Y6 who might cope with these, but you'd be unlikely to find a classful, in my experience).

4. Excellent point. I'm very pro don't treat them like they are stupid and guess that I assume that a 10 year old could cope emotionally with seeing the death of an animal. I either assume wrong or the 10 year olds I have known over the years were very mature 10 year olds.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Not in my experience! I've seen Y6 children in tears when the class tadpoles have died! I do agree with you in theory, but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with .

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

...this.
    (forgot to finish post!)

7. WOW! Seriously? Are children becoming softer or something?
    They are in for a serious shock when they get to Yr 7. I can only hope that they grow some metaphorical balls over the summer break.

8. The kids I teach (year 5) would be seriously shocked by something like you describe, and their parents would be apoplectic!
    I would probably show something like this to my own daughter when she's ten, but not a whole class - it's just asking for trouble.
    Personally, I was shown an 'insider' filmed documentary at school when I was 14. I did become a veggie for a while after that and always remember my dad and I having a massive argument about the school's 'brainwashing' of me (or not!) I have wondered as an adult what that teacher's real agenda was in showing it to us!

9. Possibly. I'm not a veggie, just a conscientious meat eater. Maybe 10 is too young by todays standards

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Alas, it would be seen by many to be brainwashing so I doubt you would be allowed to do it. That is the unfortunate state that the country/world is in. Anything slightly different is viewed as wrong by many people.
    Of course, it clearly isn't brainwashing provided you are not telling the children that killing is worng and they need to become veggie.