1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take the 2 days?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by zimon, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm an NQT, but haven't managed to sort a job so am going on supply for this year - I have been offered 2 days a week for the first half term (direct through a local school).
    I'm wondering whether it's risky to take this job and rule myself out of longer term/full time supply jobs for the first half term, but on the other hand, understand that these first two months are often quiet, so some work is better than none...
    Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Zimon

2. Hi
    I'm an NQT, but haven't managed to sort a job so am going on supply for this year - I have been offered 2 days a week for the first half term (direct through a local school).
    I'm wondering whether it's risky to take this job and rule myself out of longer term/full time supply jobs for the first half term, but on the other hand, understand that these first two months are often quiet, so some work is better than none...
    Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Zimon

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I would take it. You get your feet under the table and if they like you, things usually snowball.
    You can always leave if something better comes along.

4. Take it! It is regular money... no a lot of supply available at the beginning of term.

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Take the 2 days. They are only saying up til half term to see if they like you and you like them. If it works out you can get regular work there for the rest of the term. There is precious little work available before half term so you will not be missing out. In my experience, if i have had a placement for a half term or term then schools you've been to before tend to forget you until you go back there again. So, being as we haven't earned anything for the past month, grab it!

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Sorry, I did edit the last few sentences to read better, but for some reason it didn't change.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd definitely advise you to take it- it's regular paid work, something in short supply at this time of year. Remember jobs won't be advertised before Oct. (apart from maternity posts) so you won't be missing out on anything and you could still do 'ordinary' supply on the other days.

8. Take it. Get the pension contribution, if your LEA is paying supply "day rate", you'll be earning in the two days what a private agency might pay for three days. Another bonus is a reference, and probable further future work at the school, even day-to-day, but better paid with pension contributions.

9. TAKE IT!!!!